3ft african tank

Olly

I just got a new tank and want to put africans in it. Im thinking julidochromis, brichardi and luelupi if i can get some. im thinking about 3-4 of each. I have a big old atman external filter that does about 400lph to filter it with

will this work? what problems would be likely to occur? i have looked them up on the internet and they look like they should be ok but I just want to check

Are there any other fish could go in there?

Fish stocking list might not work for a 3ft tank.. You have chosen alot of bottom dwelling quite aggressive fish for quite a small tank and as they grow you might have troubles. Unlike mbuna they dont work so well with groups.

All things going well I should have some jullie marlieri for sale when I get back from overseas also..

Your filter will also be sweet for the small bioload that your planning.

Other tank mates you could stick some larger more robust schooling fish or some peacocks or something like that depends what you like really..

Yeah one species would be cool but I think that looks a little boring OTY really..

If you wanted some jullies I could talk to my wife and see whats left there were 10 left when I left the country and they would be 3-4cm's now you could get some of them if you wanted..

And ill still have to disagree with the filter, he isn't suggesting any high bioload and so far only smaller not so messy tangs his filter will be fine. I have had 3ft fully stocked grow out tanks that I fed heavily with tiny internals or even air driven filters done weekly water changes and its been fine. Obviously with filtration is it best to buy the biggest you can afford, I don't think any of my tanks have 6-10 times filtration and I don't think I know of many that would.

I guess it depends on what you're keeping and how much you're feeding. I've got a 200L 3' grow out with 2 700lph canisters, but it has 14 clown loaches and a heap of cichlids in it, and lots of meaty food like shrimp. His filter would certainly be alright for a start, but depending on what he stocks it with it may eventually need an upgrade.

Because they will attack the others... Even with just 3-4, if all same sex, 3 will hide a lot. If 2 pair up, the others will only be living down the far end of where the others choose to breed. The peacock may get smashed too.

With what you are trying to do, it is trial & error. Good luck, you may be fine.

Frenchy :D

When I got mine I got 6.. A pair formed and laid a few times in a mixed tank 3ft tank it had the pair of jullies peacocks, and some mbuna in there.. The only time I started loosing the jullies was when I started mucking around with them and moving them around the place and they jumped out or I left them in nets.. Had a disaster with them for a while there..

Either way im sure there are heaps there if you wanted to try more.

They will breed in a tank with peacocks, my first few spawns were in heavily mixed tanks the odds of many babies surviving is very low though.. They're probably still breeding in the tank they're in now, but im sure no babies will survive who knows ill find out when i get home I guess.

Here is the tank they're in with some photo's of the pair of jullies.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/my-tank--vt31753.html

Bear in mind that your talking quite a long time frame before they grow out mature and pair off so you will have time to consider what you wanted to do by then.