Unplanned Parenthood

Jalil30

I have a Flowerhorn and Red devil that I put in a tank alone because they were making trouble in my community cichlid tank... they were in there together maybe 3 weeks. Now I have a tank full of babies. I have no idea what is going on.. which is mommy and which is daddy. This is the last thing I expected to happen... Can someone please tell me what is going on..

This hybrid is thought to be the end product of cross breeding between the Cichlasoma Trimaculatus, Cichlasoma Festae, Jingang Blood Parrot, and others.

Flower Horn Fish have gone through a lot of selective cross breeding in order to have the best characteristics of the respective strains of the Cichlid family.

So what you are seeing could be right. Male female? Who knows

I am reading up on it now.. and I'm not sure if I should destroy the fry or what... Im reading some pretty scary articles. My usually Evil Red devil is being so nurturing I hate to remove the fry.... The Flowerhorn is nowhere to be found Hides out in the log 90% of the time.. Not even eating like normal.

This kind of thing is done to get these sorts of fish, you may find the young don't turn out to look anything like the parents. To get flowerehorns in the first place there has been a lot of cross breeding.

Your call really, some are happy to do it some are not.

The purists, i would have thought, would not buy flowerhorns in the first place. Same with parrotfish to.

You could keep some of the fry to grow up if you have space, but don't sell them or take them to the fish shops.

I don't think you'd get any improvement by crossing a FH with a red devil, although you could cross it with a texas cichlid to get some nice blue colour into them. The FH's I've seen for sale here have been so dull and boring compared to all the overseas ones I've seen. I'd rather just have a trimac....

My poor Flowerhorn.. Everyone Talks about him sooo bad.. I had no Idea.. I just thought he was a pretty fish at the pet store..

And if you think he is pretty, then he IS pretty. Luckily for fishkeepers there are a variety of fish to choose from that some people like and others dont. Parrots included.

There will always be some purists out there that will remain adamant that anything that differs from what nature readily produces should be culled.

What a lot of people also seem to forget is that they were not born experts and that there will have been a learning curve somewhere in their fishkeeping and mistakes made that they wish they could remedy now. So you bought a Flowerhorn. So what!. Enjoy looking after him and learning about him. At least then you can be a little more informed when you come to making your next fish purchase.

EVERYBODY has their own likes and dislikes and that is what makes fishkeeping fun.

What a lot of people also seem to forget is that they were not born experts and that there will have been a learning curve somewhere in their fishkeeping and mistakes made that they wish they could remedy now.

Nobody is born an expert.... ;)

Buying a flowerhorn isn't a mistake either. They're cool fish!

Random hybrids aren't really good for the hobby though, from any perspective. Unless you are selectively breeding to create something that is an improvement on nature (eg some of the big amazingly coloured flowerhorns you can get over-seas) or something totally different (eg blood parrots) then there's not much point in keeping them.

I would separate the parents (or just keep culling the fry) but maybe grow a few out to see how they turn out just to satisfy your own curiosity.