molly genetics

spoon

my mollies have just been born the mum is a pure black lyretail and the dad an orange neon sailfin there is about 15 babies . wat i want to know is will they have both the lyretail and the sailfin? im already pretty sure of the colour as the black pigment is really obvious on them its a bit patchy so im guessing in between will be the dads colour

No ideas but try and keep notes and a photo diary if you can. Experiments like this can be very interesting. You may find some completely unexpected results, esp in the 2nd and third generations.

I crossed some Y linked half black guppies to some x linked half black guppies a while back and the 2nd generation is very surprising. I allowed the 1st generation to mate and separated out all of the fish that were not half black. All the non half black could pass for Endlers!

No idea, But can i be first on the list for buying some? :P :lol:
yep ur first on the list but i will have to covert them to freshwater as they are in brackish atm but lol at least brineshrimp are easy then i put them in the floating breeder thing and they hatch so the babies should grow quite fast

well im pretty sure they will all have sailfins a lot of them are black from halfway down to the tail and orange at the front some are splotchy black and orange yet to see lyretail in them , and as for my guppies some of the males are starting to develop rather nice colours

ok you guys are going to laugh and call me crazy because thats hjow i reacted when I heard this.

Aparenty scientists have discovered that mollies are infact an a-sexual fish, meening that the female does not require sperm to become gravid. wierd ay. I argued that there would be no genetic variation, all the fish would be the same as their mothers... but aparently they do need a male to stimulate this process, any live bearing male (guppy platty any...)