BN caves

Yeah it's really annoying. I've got 2 pairs here that I want to breed (the bigs one that have already bred and 2 smaller ones that are about 6-7cms). I think the reason they bred was the new cave I put in there. Good luck on getting them to breed.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its frustration when a supposedly easy fish doesn't do the deed.

I have found that they require a tight cave, for the first time I saw my BN at it, the male has to trap the female in the cave, so a good tight entrance makes it easier.

As for trying to feed the males when they are nesting I wouldn't bother, They will eat when they are ready, just make sure the male gets a break between batches and he will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine hid behind the heater and then I put this cave in and he liked it. The eggs have black dots in them but thats it. How long before they hatch once they get black dots?

Those pics are awesome, I want to see that in my tank. I had a pot half like that in mine but I think my boy was too big for it. It's funny the one and only time I had baby bristlenose was years ago my female was only about 5 or so cm and she never grew. At the time I thought that was normal size for adults. My boy dug his own cave under a piece of wood. I did nothing! Now that I have been trying I'm useless! Mine won't even eat their courgette.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it's good for the view but the fish is a bit anxious about it :lol: Everytime someone walked in front of the tank he freaked. My mate has draped a towel over the front of the tank so he can't see people moving about and it's settled him down 8)

Mark wrote:

Yeah, it's good for the view but the fish is a bit anxious about it Everytime someone walked in front of the tank he freaked

So, this is because they are in a clear container?? If they were in something else, chances are he wouldn't freak out then??? :oops: Smart fish!

Caper