Electronic ballast

Fenriswolf

Hey hey. I've got a 150 litre planted tank that is 70 cm deep - the plants are doing pretty well considering no CO2 injection and how deep it is (not exactly sure what my fluoros are off the top of my head as they were given to me... for plants but probably not strong enough for my deep tank), but I'd really like to get something better. (I'm using PMDD and Flourish FYI)

So anyway, if I screwed small 150w electronic ballasts into my hood would that overheat really badly? The back of the hood is open so it's somewhat ventilated.

Any suggestions? Thanks! :bounce:

The ballast would not get to hot however the bulbs would. You can also mount the ballasts away from the hood, from memory my one allow for a cord length of about 1200mm between bulb and ballast.

Sorry yeah, that's what I meant :oops:

The whole lights thing drives me nuts... I understand about deg K, watts etc but in practice I just get really confused.

Basically my hood sits so the top is about 20cm from the lid, do you think attaching it so it hangs around half way would be good for the plants/not get too hot?

Feel like a dumbass. *sigh*

Sorry yeah, that's what I meant :oops:

The whole lights thing drives me nuts... I understand about deg K, watts etc but in practice I just get really confused.

Basically my hood sits so the top is about 20cm from the lid, do you think attaching it so it hangs around half way would be good for the plants/not get too hot?

Feel like a dumbass. *sigh*

20cm isnt much. They will still get hot if suspended. You may need to install some 12v computer fans to get decent air flow.

Id mount the ballasts on the back of the hood as i dont think that would like the heat.

Only way to find out is try

Could also just go with 4 x T5HO or something. Not as direct/intense as MH but spreads the light a lot better without having to be hung high off the surface.

PS the ballast is a device used to limit current, sounds like by '150W ballast' you actually mean a 150W metal halide fitting.

Could also just go with 4 x T5HO or something. Not as direct/intense as MH but spreads the light a lot better without having to be hung high off the surface.

Problem is that the lid's 50 x 50 cm... that would be too small wouldn't it?

PS the ballast is a device used to limit current, sounds like by '150W ballast' you actually mean a 150W metal halide fitting.

(*&$@%(*^) No, actually it was a ballast I was looking at... do I need a ballast or just a fitting? *sigh* Having an irritating day - just feeling like a dumbass a lot

Problem is that the lid's 50 x 50 cm... that would be too small wouldn't it?

(*&$@%(*^) No, actually it was a ballast I was looking at... do I need a ballast or just a fitting? *sigh* Having an irritating day - just feeling like a dumbass a lot

You can get T5HO tubes in many lengths. Including baby ones for much smallers tanks.

Ballast controls the power to the light.

Light fitting holds the light, and maybe the ballast as well.

For a 50x50cube metal halide would be badass, certainly go MH if you can for that :bow:

Go with (CFL)Compact Fluro Lamps, PL lamps or even the power saver lamps will do at a pinch.

The light output from a fluro is proportional to its length (hence the twisted shape on some power saver lamps)I have added 2x 26 watt CFL lamps in my light hood and have my ballasts remote to cut down on heat and weight on the hood.

Have a look at my lighting FAQ in the technical area, I have stuck with fluros at this stage but when I get some more time I will add MH and other lighting types