Fresh water shrimp

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, one species, it is very cool. Starts off as a fertile male then grows up to be a fertile female! Only shrimp species in the world that does this.

There are a few discussions about them here, do an archive search. They can be kept in aquaria but in COLD water, not tropical. (people do, but it is not fair on the shrimp!)

Online Auction or Classified Advertisement:

No links to Trademe Auctions, Online Auctions or Classified Adds are allowed. Also, no reference is to be made to Trademe, other Online Auctions or Classified Adds and the items for auction/sale.

No links or references to Trademe, other Online Auction sites or Classified Adds to discuss an item for auction/sale (applies to expired listings and linked pictures); exception - if you are genuinely interested in buying the item and want to learn more about the use of the item and if it will be ok for your purpose.

Whoops sorry :oops: . I've seen them in my creek (atleast I think it was them). Do you think they'd be in my creek in Lower Hutt? They were either FW shrimp or baby koura (sp). Are baby koura (those FW crayfish) small and clear? How big do the FW shrimp get?

Does anyone have any info on them or a link with info? I can't find any. I just want to know what size tank they need, any special setup, what they eat and all that. I'll go look for some tomorrow and hopefully I'll find some. I also saw the person who was selling them said they breed really easily and can lay around 1000 eggs a day (or a week I can't remember :lol: ) is this true? Do the babys (what do you call a baby shrimp) survive?

What sort of filter was in there? just an airstone? I could add salt to the tank if they like to have salty water. Anyone know what they're called? Are they ghost / glass shrimp?

I read that they were glass shrimp and someone said they were Paratya curvirostris (I'm guessing this is thir scientific name). I got a pic of a Paratya curvirostris/ glass shrimp and was just wondering if this is it

Pics%5CShrimp.jpg

ghost-shrimp.jpg

They are just freshwater shrimp, can't remember the scientific name off hand.

They eat algae and biofilms.

They don't lay eggs. Well, they do but they hold them under their tails till they have hatched and moulted a few times, like freshwater crayfish and crabs.

I don't know if it is ok to say, I get confused with with what is ok or not with trademe, but I do not think they are actually freshwater shrimp for sale, by the tiny pic they look like mysis shrimp, hence possibly the claim that they lay 1000 eggs per day. Thus take anything said on the site they link to with a little caution if you are looking at actual freshwater shrimp.

Just remembered, the freshwater shrimp are not entirely freshwater, I think they need brackish to breed. No idea how to do it or if it has been done.

Thats sooo cool how they breed. I can add some salt to it if that would make them healthier/happier. I found a few sites about them and it only says when breeding to put a few adult females together (I thought a male would have helped them breed :wink: :lol: ). Do you know if that pics what they look like?

Cam, that's the one! :)

I have no idea what defines a glass shrimp. There may be a lot of things called that.

Paratya curvirostris is definitely the name of the native freshwater shrimp (which is kinda technically brackish water also)

So how would you make the tank brackish (like how many table spoons of salt to each litre?) I think it was you who posted that they were called that in an old post

males are smaller than females since they become females when they are older. THough quite what is happening during the crossover stage (fertile or infertile? hermaphroditic or what?)

Yeah, apparently having both sexes together is useful when trying to breed things ;)

Big ones get to about 3.5cm.

Compare your photo with this one of mine, who was a large female with a huge horde of babies or eggs under her tail. She has more pigment because she is big.

2008_01_07Ohaushrimp003.jpg

Sadly she died soon after... with her legs nibbled off! I hope it wasn't the babies.... :o

nope, had no idea why, i caught heaps with eggs already attached to them. but they disappear, then they get new clusters, then they disappear also. im assuming they are tiny and get sucked through the pump into the main tank where they get devoured... :( but they DEFINATELY got new clusters after they went in my tank. not brackish if thats what you are wondering. but no new shrimps either, no need to feed, pickes out the little bits of stuff in the water :D

So if I put them in a tank of their own and manage to find a group of them do you think they'll breed. I'll add salt to the tank but I don't know how much to add. Would it be a teaspoon for every litre? Thye first pic looks more like your one (thats not the glass shrimp). the 2nd ones more clear.