undergravel heating?

Sharkie

im looking in the next 12 months to start up a 900ltr tank and have a couple of questions i have been out the hobby for a while and the under gravel heating wasnt available when i was last keeping fish so here is my questions

1) does the undergravel heating make a big enough difference to justify having it and is it expensive to run?

2)i am looking at useing two UNIMAX 500 filters for the tank has anyone had any experience with these aparently my local pet shop has the rights to these for all of NZ they look like very good filters?

cheers guys

It isn't any more expensive to run, since the glass below is insulated, most of the heat goes up through the tank anyway. Its low wattage, so usually (not always) you'd have a normal heater, and this would just warm up the gravel.

Reason for it usually is to encourage better root growth on plants. There are people on here (Caryl is one I think) who've set up their tanks to be heated purely undergravel. I don't think off the shelf kits are meant for this though.

Haven't used UNIMAX filters, but the specs on the 500 look good. You'd have ~3000L/hr on a 900 tank so that is 3.4x turnover which isn't too bad and I'd imagine would work out really well. But you might want to consider a Fluval FX5 or two depending on stocking levels. My better looking and healthier setups have usually had 5x an hour turnover or slightly more, doesn't mean its essential though. I've certainly run much less before.

thanks for that i will look into the fluvel as they always used to be my fav but the unimax really looks like the goods so will compare and see what comes out on top i may even go with the unimax700 not sure ltrs phr but all comes down to money

We have an under tank homemade heatpad the tank sits on, a little different to the undergravel cables that run through the substrate which is what most people mean when they refer to undergravel heating. Works well and is economical as heat rises.

I have root heaters in my planted tank (JBL ones) they seem to be working well, have fine substrate, have also put on a gas bottle type co2 unit about a month ago. Tank is starting to look really great. Had to cut about 50 big leaves off the big sword plants yesterday.

One of the other reasons some people go substrate heating is that they do not want the heater visible in the tank, a thin black cable running up the corner of the tank is not as noticeable than a whoppiing great heater.

i would be running normal heating as well...from what i can gather the undergravel heating creates current in the gravel through the heat rising and in turn the current draws the nutrients in fiish waste etc down into the gravel better feeding the plants and it also helps reduce dead spots in the gravel...but i have had really wicked planted tanks in the past without this so am trying to find some evidence that it will greatly assist in my plant health and growth to make it worth while...i may just give it a go as its not overly expensive...im looking at a computerised co2 setup anyone used this type before?

Undergravel heating is a booster only and is intended to create water movement in the growing media. It is not intended to heat the whole aquarium. I have two 1200 x 450mm tanks heated by 300 watt heating pads (made by Argus) between the tank ant the polystyrene and controlled by Love TS digital temperature switches. One tank is divided into 6 compartments and is used for breeding fish and the other is used for growing plant and displaying male killies. The planted tank has a growing media of sand 35-40mm of sand evenly across the bottom and has quite a lag in period between the thermostat cutting in and out because the sand slows up the reaction time for the thermostat to turn the power off. It therefore has quite a fluctuation in temperature even though the hysteresis is set at 1 degree C. You want a thin even layer of media or you will have problems. I find both setups very good for their intended purpose.