How to trim Aponogetons?

Cheesejawa

My Aponogetons have grown out of control, unsure of the species but since it grows so easily im guessing its a hybrid. I need to cut it back back but I dont know how do do it since it grows from the base and wont split into stems if cut. Do you cut off the whole stem to not leave a stump? Can you even trim it or do you just replace it with a smaller plant?

I prune each leaf/stalk as close to the base as possible. If you cut it only part way down, the remainder just decomposes, I find. They seem to keep sprouting new leaves from the base.

I get little nodules that form a bulb and small leaves. I can break them off and they grow into new plants when planted.

Many Aponogetons have an arial stage with floating leaves and it is usually around the time they propagate. If it is A. undulatus (is propagating vegetatively by producing a stalk with small bulblets on and some of the leaves do a "loop the loop") it is best to leave the floating leaves. They usually die back after propagation and start again. Some people feel that undulatus is a hybrid with natans but I am not sure as I think undulatus has a floating leaf stage anyway.