whats wrong with my platie

vindy500

Its scales have dropped off. We need to work out why.

It cuold be ill or maybe it has been frightened and got jammed in the decor somewhere, removing the scales in the process. Anything in the tank it could have got stuck in? This is what I suspect since the damage is pretty even over both sides of the fish and I assume it is the only one like it?

Hey Vindy,

I have a barb that looked that same as that last week! - He's a big golden barb we named Fat Albert, and he seemed to have been frightened by something (maybe my cat :roll: ) and got stuck between two pieces of rock that stand upright.

He scrapped off a few scales and looked a little red (maybe blood under the tissue?) but i put some Melafix in the tank and he came right.

Like Caryl said, make sure you treat it just in case it gets fungus etc, and I'm sure it will be fine :D

Sorry Caryl!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I didn't read it right, but i understood what you meant! I know sometimes when a fish gets wounded and is stressed it can develop a fungus problem, but I didn't mean that it would :oops:

Sorry, I feel a little bit stink now. I use Melafix as more of preventative measure than a cure.

Please accept my apologies - maybe next time I'll make sure I'm not too tired to understand what I'm reading!

No need to feel stink. I am anti medications if they can be avoided (I even hate taking them myself) and just wanted to make it clear. Others would say to treat "just in case". It is a personal choice, not a matter of right or wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

from what I have seen, most fish don't let themselves get picked on unless they are unwell to begin with. My fish do everything they can to get out of the way of the algae eater I have! If it's letting itself get munched by another fish, then maybe there is another underlying problem that needs to be sorted.