Whats happened?

Aquarium Dude

I have an Opaline Gourami (about 8cm) that has a swelling in its body about 1 cm roung just behind the fin on its side, this is about 5mm high. Then Behind this is what looks like cotton wool stuck to the fish. The lump looks red under the cotton wool (the overlap only a little.

What is it and what should I do?

Don't know what the lump is (could be something infected from inside or outside the body, or a tumour) but the cotton wool is a secondary infection. I don't know the names of meds to use sorry but find one that says it is for fungal infections (to treat the wool)

Wunder Tonic is the generalised fungal/bacterial infection treatment, but you'll be using a lot in a big tank. Stresscoat isn't going to do anything once they've got a full blown infection sorry :(

Methylene blue is good but not as good as the tonic, which has methylene blue and malachite green (methylene blue just increases oxygen uptake in the water or something, malachite green pretty much kills everything, works similarly to formalin I believe).

If it has a lump its through injury or internal bacteria.The fungus that is growing from it is a secondary infection.I would say it needs antibiotics.Wonder tonic is great but wont treat it if its internal.

True. It's so painful, you have to ring around vet clinics... I work for one and everyone was so "meh, I don't know who you order that from" when my fish got pop eye that I never even got the ones I was looking for and he died :(

Vet I went to, actually turned out to be caserole's brother haha

Anyway the script he gave me for antibiotics I picked up at the chemist for $8 (who was admittedly confused as to why I needed them for fish). They're normal antibiotics for humans, just crush them up in to the water. Sorry I can't remember the name, it was picked because it was cheap and can be dissolved in water, think its that one that starts with 'E' used for cyanobacteria as well.

Much much much more effective against bacteria with fish than anything you will ever get at fish stores in NZ.

Cost is usually higher than the fish, so most people don't bother. In this case it was an oscar with emotional value, so paying the $40 + $8 was worth it.

Note however, they're usually not supposed to give out scripts without seeing the animal, so you may need to bring the fish in (or at bare minimum a photo or at least sound like you know what you're talking about, Fenris in your case it'll be easy)

There is some stuff you can get from some pet shops,its call furam2 ithink thats how you spell it.Im not sure how it works.I think its around about twenty four dollars for ten capsules.Im sure some one on here can inlighten us if it would be good for this.I have heard it mentioned on here as cheaper than going to the vet.

Furan2 isn't an antibiotic I'm affraid. It's definately (IMO) the best chance you have against bacterial problems without seeing a vet though. Think it's called a bactericide, they say anti-bacterial on the box.

When using it though, make sure you have a small hospital tank to treat, because its damn expensive! Cheaper to see the vet if you have a large tank and are unable to move them to a hospital tank.

Proper anti-biotics are much much better, and AFAIK they'll treat dropsy/bloat issues too.

Can you post a picture.Whats his tail like?.Do your other fish look okay.I don't like saying this as i know you can get attached to certain fish.But some times if treatment is to costly and its only one fish its best to dispose of that fish.

Could I use a bucket as a hospital tank with the spare filter etc.

I have also noticed that his side fins are only the spiney bits with nothing in between. what would this be?

Sounds like bloat/dropsy to me. Common in Labrynth fish.

If thats what it is you really need proper antibiotics, easy to buy off the shelf in the US but not here.

If you look down from above, her scales on the body will make her look like a pine cone. Bloated body with scales pointing outwards. If this is the case it's probably best to put her out of her mysery otherwise the internal pressure will do it on your behalf, and if the other fish eat the remains they'll likely get sick as well.

I have an Opaline Gourami (about 8cm) that has a swelling in its body about 1 cm roung just behind the fin on its side, this is about 5mm high. Then Behind this is what looks like cotton wool stuck to the fish. The lump looks red under the cotton wool (the overlap only a little.

What is it and what should I do?

I would be worried about your other fish,maybe you could float it in a ice cream container in your tank.Sounds like fins are deteriorating.

Its not as bad as that with pokey out scales.

Could I just wunder tonic the entire tank?

You could do that,but if its internal its not going to fix it.As Spiderweb said if it dies and the other fish eat some of it,it could infect all your fish.Wonder tonic is good but can not fix every thing.I would take it out and put it in an ice cream container and float it in your tank.That way theres less chance of your other fish getting infected.

The ice cream container will float naturally so long as you don't overfill it, and the tonic has instructions on the back :D

It's something like a drop a litre, dose 2 days then do a water change then dose for 2 more days or something. If you do get any in your tank it'll stain the silicone blue too