Different Types of Arowana

Koi

Hi there.

Quite new to fish keeping etc. But interested in getting a cool Arowana. I remember seeing one in a shop a while ago that was amazing in color. And quite big.

I would love one like this also. I notice alot of people have silver ones, but im looking for something else perhaps?

Can you get baby ones in different breeds/colors?

Thanks

Theres a Red Aro in "wonderworld" (Rotorua), $1800. but if it's size your after then your better off with the silver aro's.

i think Livingart (on the forum and is in Tauranga) had a Jardini for sale as well. After talking to him i reckon that would be a cool fish to have, really aggresive.

Hope that helps. :D

what does a jardini look like?

im not fussed about size i just love the look of them. but would prefer one thats not silver. and preferably very young so we can watch it grow.

can you import them young? or does anyone breed them here in nz?

no longer on the allowed import list

Scleropages jardinii - Common name: Australian Pearl Arowana

Origin: northen Australia; New Guinea

Scleropages Leichardti - Common name Spotted bonytongue, Spotted barramundi

Origin: River system of central-eastern Queensland; Australia

jardini3nr8.jpg

they can be kept in smaller tanks than Silver Aro's and arnt the same price as red or golds etc.

I think (but don't quote me) livingart wants about $250 for his Jardini (if it's still for sale that is). Which is a great deal. I believe you can not import them anymore.

heres a couple of Pics of Saratoga/jardini off google search.

http://www.silvadenaaquamina.com/Jardini3.jpg

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/1341/p9050001fq3.jpg

so does anyone have any idea on how to get a colorfull arowana as a baby?

Talk to wondreworld about when the next lot of asian arowanas are being imported, or hollywood fish farm in Auckland. you may need to pay a four-figure deposit, and don't expect the price tag to be under $2k. Have a 5'x2'x2' tank ready, and read the arowana forum on monsterfishkeepers.com about tanning regimes.

For the record, there are six different species of arowana;

Heterotis niloticus, the African Arowana

Scleropages formosus, the Asian Arowana

Scleropages jardini, Australian Arowana

S. leichardti, Australian Arowana

Osteoglossum ferreirai, Black Arowana

O. bicirrhosum, Silver Arowana

Of these, silvers are the only ones commonly available in NZ. Asians are occasionally imported and probably are the next most available. A group of jardini were imported somehow and there are a few kicking around, but they aren't on the list and can't be legally imported. Blacks used to be available 8+ years ago, but I haven't seen one for sale in about 5 years. To the best of my knowledge, african aro's or leichardti have never been available here.

so they import them for themselves but what about me just importing some for me? cut out the middle man so to speak.

i would love a x back blue arowana or gold one. really any thing other than a silver. they just look too eel-like for me at the back. i like the tail of the jardini but not much of a fan of the color.

this "list" you speak of?.... more details perhaps?

I cannot recall seeing a baby one for sale anywhere and they are not bred in NZ, I think if my memory serves me right they are doctored before they arrive here, I am pretty sure somebody will correct me if I am mistaken.