Food for bullies?

Snorkel

I'm thinking of catching some small, freshwater bullies out of a local lake to keep in my tank. I'm wondering what I could feed fishes like this? Also this lake has freshwater shrimps in it. They are kinda cute. What would they eat in an aquarium?

I keep about 30 freshwater shrimp in one of my tanks.

They eat algae and left over fish food, though with goldfish there usually isn't leftover food.....

There's no need to feed shrimps as they eat such tiny amounts.

Remember not to use too many chemicals (in particular ones that treat algae blooms such as AlgaeFix) as shrimp are sensitive to them.

Bullies are so cool in the aquarium, really active and such characters!

food: Live aquatic insects, as Enzoom1 said, but winter is not exactly a great time for finding such things. Frozen bloodworm are great as they look alive in the water and are a good food for attracting the newly-captured fish.

I find bloodworm is NOT a good staple food for fish, I used to think it was wonderful, but they just don't put on as much size as they should have been. My latest favourite for all my natives is frozen heart meat. Highly nutritious and cheap. (that said, bullies do not grow quickly, but if fast growing fish like juvenile kokopu can't put on much size with bloodworm, then I figure it isn't that great for bullies either.)

They can become quite tame and eat out of your hands, if you are patient.

As for the aquarium itself, they are bottom dwelling, so you want as much ground area as possible. Lots and lots of rocks and hiding places. Bullies can be territorial. They can also be like cats, wanting to perch high up to survey their surroundings. You will find the most dominant bully spends most of its time on a particular rock high up, or higher in the water column than the other fish.