New Aquarium, best fish to share with Neon's.

Virgil

I've never really cycled my tanks. My first one I cycled it with no fish for a week and then got 14 neons and they lasted ages and all my other tanks I just filled with water, plug the heater in and then maybe waiyt 24hours and then chuck the fish in it :lol:

Have you seen any new fish you like?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never really cycled my tanks. My first one I cycled it with no fish for a week and then got 14 neons and they lasted ages and all my other tanks I just filled with water, plug the heater in and then maybe waiyt 24hours and then chuck the fish in it :lol:

Have you seen any new fish you like?

Introduced 7 neons week and half ago, 4 died within a day or so, since then no problems. added 5 more fish yesterday as well.

Would like eventually a silver shark, couple more tiger barbs (great looking fish, love how they zip around the tank), and some loaches..

Maybe these ones weren't too hardy. I had a few that died early on when I added to the neon school. Also watch out to neon tetra deiese (sp?). it only happened when I first got neons but I had to get rid of a few of them because of it. Have you seen yoyo loaches? They are really cool.

Just be careful with those tiger barbs, they're notoriously nippy fish so may limit what other fish you want to add further down the track...anything slow moving or with long fins will probably get harassed!

They're awesome looking fish but can be terrors personality wise. I'd probably go with a couple of gouramis (either dwarfs or pearl gouramis could work nicely) for the top of the tank, and like others have suggested a group of cories for the bottom, plus a bristlenose to help keep algae at bay. Add your bottom feeders a bit later when the tank is well cycled :D

Just be careful with those tiger barbs, they're notoriously nippy fish so may limit what other fish you want to add further down the track...anything slow moving or with long fins will probably get harassed!

They're awesome looking fish but can be terrors personality wise. I'd probably go with a couple of gouramis (either dwarfs or pearl gouramis could work nicely) for the top of the tank, and like others have suggested a group of cories for the bottom, plus a bristlenose to help keep algae at bay. Add your bottom feeders a bit later when the tank is well cycled :D

Awesome will do.

The tigers seem to be enjoying themselves, chasing each other round the tank. Seem to be ignoring the neons at the moment..

i'd get otocinclus for the algae if you can.. they stay vegetarian whereas the plecos start to enjoy the other food too as they get older.

mm nice idea the dwarf gouramies are great saw some beauties at animal antics recently... bright yellow... i didn't notice the name anyone know what they're called exactly?

Oto's are the best for algae but most fish keepers find them difficult to keep healthy. If you want something hardier, bristlenose (just a single one even) will keep the tank spotless (but they wont eat black hair algae like otos or SAEs).

Young bristlenose do a better job than adults, but even the old guys are still good nighttime workers :)

I'd leave the tank as is for a week, then slowly add fish.

Really want to avoid a nitrite spike which is common in new tanks.

You will know when you need a bristlenose/oto/sae because you'll have to start wiping it off the glass. When you do see it, its a good sign that your tank is mature or starting to mature.

Don't worry about algae eating fish (avoid chinese or golden algae eater btw) until you need them.

i'd get otocinclus for the algae if you can.. they stay vegetarian whereas the plecos start to enjoy the other food too as they get older.

mm nice idea the dwarf gouramies are great saw some beauties at animal antics recently... bright yellow... i didn't notice the name anyone know what they're called exactly?

Were they golden honey dwarfs?

Glad to hear all is going well with your tank Virgil!

Do you have any pics posted??

Caper

Cheers, really pleased the new additions have survived

Will be looking forward to adding new plants and features like stones etc..

Took sum pics the other day, will certainly post them shortly :D

good way to waste some time on an arvo like todays virgie.

i been meaning to do a few things to the tank but struggling to get away from the tv and beers.

Yup, went to that store "Hollywood fish farms" in Tawa drive.

great to go to a proper aquarium shop instead of the usual pet shop with the aquarium just part of it.

Some stunning fish there i hadnt seen before.