UPS

spoon

Generally no.

They are designed to power a PC for 15 minutes or so while you save your work and shut down normally.

A filter / air pump / heater may draw less power than a whole computer, but you are still only talking about an hour or 2 of run time. The tank can handle that amount of time without power. It's the 12 hour + power cuts that are a real problem, and in that situation the UPS batteries have run down hours ago.

A small generator is a better option, at least it will keep running as long as you keep putting gas in it.

Ian

Generally no.

They are designed to power a PC for 15 minutes or so while you save your work and shut down normally.

A filter / air pump / heater may draw less power than a whole computer, but you are still only talking about an hour or 2 of run time. The tank can handle that amount of time without power. It's the 12 hour + power cuts that are a real problem, and in that situation the UPS batteries have run down hours ago.

A small generator is a better option, at least it will keep running as long as you keep putting gas in it.

Ian

I'm expecting about 3 hours out of a car battery running 3 cannisters. Maybe hoping is the correct term. Ideally I think you'd want to do something like just have an air pump running continuously on the UPS, no heater and any cannister or other filter run for like a minute or two every 10 minutes. Just enough refresh the water in the cannister.

A car battery and small inverter will get you a lot more run time than a small UPS.

A normal UPS only has a motorbike size battery, maybe 12V 6amp/hour

A good car battery should be maybe 60amp/hour or 6amps for 10 hours, much more usefull, especially if you just run the load for short periods.

Ian

Not quite ;-)

Technically it's a standby power supply.

A UPS switches over automatically, you will have to start the inverter, if you run it all the time the battery charger wont keep up and your battery will eventually go flat.

If you had a big enough battery charger, that could power the inverter AND keep the battery topped up, then you would have a true online UPS, the best kind.

But your plan will work and give you a usefull amount of power for a while.

Ian

I have a 2kVA Online Dual Conversion UPS (Sinewave Output). It's enough to power the only tank I had for 3 days. It could run a 100W pump and 300W heater (heater on 50% of the time) for this period. It did require quite a few batteries to be connected. There's 240AH of batteries @ 72VDC (12 x 120AH in a series parallel arrangement). Luckily I get this gear at a very good price from my work. Normal sell price for something like this would be well over $4k...

Some mid sized inverters designed for the RV and boating market have inbuilt chargers and changeover in them - effectivly making them a UPS when connected to a batterybank.

Have a look on ebay for inverters, the local market seems to only have the low power cigerette lighter ones at sane prices, anything grunty is stupid money.

There are "DIY emergency back-up power supply" plans on the net. They use a deep cycle battery, power inverter, relay, and battery charger. And yes they do automatically switch over from AC to DC when the power gets cut-off. Hell of alot cheaper then a UPS, and you get the same pros.

just remember to use a true sine wave inverter :wink: