Is this a good idea

fins

Could you juts tell me if this is a good idea or not?

In my 288 litre tank I had a 250 watt heater on each end. I measured the tempreture at each end and one end was warmer than the other. So I put both heaters on either side of the inlet to my external filter. Is this the best way to distrubute heat evenly throughout my tank?

thanks

Alan is right. I personally think that if you are using 2 heaters you should only be using 1 thermastat. There are lots of heater controllers that are not expensive, and you can buy cheaper thermastats and wire them into 2 heaters (you can buy heaters without thermastats to reduce the cost).

I use an electronic heater controller that I plug my 3 heaters into. Works a treat.

Pieman

I run 2 combo heater units in my rearing tank. One hardly ever turns on and is only a backup. They are on 2 power outlets on different fuses too. But it is almost imposable to set 2 x heaters to switch on simultaneously and if you have a low flow/water rotation rate you are always going to get slight temperature variations. Pie's is right, a good thermostat with 2 or more heaters is probably a better idea however I have not yet got a high quality thermostat.

Oh yeah im aware that they will most likely be set at slightly different temperatures.

but it would bring the temperature difference between the 2 ends of the tank closer which after all was the object of the exercise