Silica Sand

Aquatopia

Just a couple of quick questions regarding Silica Sand. I bought mine at Placemakers, Riccarton and it was described as white sand. The guy told me its also called Silica Sand and as someone else on here said they also got theres at the same store Im hoping its the right stuff.

1) How much rinsing does it need ? Is it the same rule as with gravel ? (IE rinse till water runs clear).

2) How deep should it be in the tank ? I will be placing rocks in there too, of course.

I have some calcite so am thinking about sticking that as a thin layer under the sand to act as a buffer. Will this work ?

Cheers.

1. Its a lot finer than gravel, so make sure you're not throwing too much of the actual sand away.

2. Don't go too deep or you'll get dead spots and it will be harder to to stir up.

3. The fish will stir it up, and you will too when cleaning, so it'll end up just being mixed in with the sand. There won't be much water flow under a layer of silica sand so I don't think it would work as a buffer very well even if you didnt disturb it.

Also, what kind of filtration are you using? It is easily stirred up by cichlids, so if you're running a canister you'll need some sort of foam over the intake unless its a long way off the bottom (probably at least 18" to be safe).

Hi DavidR Thanks for the reply. Im using a Biolife 55 wet/dry internal filter (as this is on a Tropiquarium 88 tank). Im also trying to get my Tunze comline filter running but hitting a brick wall with fitting the inlet tube.

Take your point about not being enough water movement for the calcite to make a buffering difference.

Better idea may be to put some in a filter bag at the back of the rocks (or get a fluidised filter maybe ?)