July 14, 200818 yr comment_251092 saw some new set-ups lately. Here is my set-up of an african tank. meassurement: 1700(L)X400(H)X280(W) All "equipment" is hidden behind the rocks. By blocking some light from the 4 light tubes I created some bright and darker spots that makes it more interesting. Some small electric yellows, 4 small Brichardis ans 4 also small Hansbaenschis seem to be very happy and growing. You can't seen them by the way. Look forward to some comments. Report
July 14, 200818 yr comment_251095 That looks excellent marto... what kind of rock is that? Love the darkness of the rock, a very rich colour 8) Report
July 14, 200818 yr Author comment_251102 It's what you call lace rock, or moss rock I believe. The colour varies from dark grey to reddish when its dry, but in the water it goes much darker. Report
July 14, 200818 yr Author comment_251113 It might have some buffering qualities in the long run, but I don't want to rely on it. I have some crushed coral in the filter. The Ph is 8.2 and carbon hardness 12. Achieved that with "the recipe" Is is stable now for 2 weeks. I will try to get another picture for the full view: it is a bit dark. Report
July 14, 200818 yr comment_251114 Isn't the recipe great.. rather a few Af keepers use it overseas if need be... Would love to see more pics 8) Report
July 14, 200818 yr comment_251120 The Ph is 8.2 and carbon hardness 12. Achieved that with "the recipe" :bounce: :bounce: What a gorgeous tank. What is the recipe you two mentioned? My poor fish just have to cope with what comes out of the tap. They are happy enough but Im sure they could be happier. Report
July 14, 200818 yr comment_251123 Alot of people are happy keeping their African fish in what their tap water gives them The buffer recipe I use in our Fron tank and other displays... I have found our fish have been much happier with recipe so give them what they are happy with, colouration.. activity etc http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/buffer_recipe.php Report
July 14, 200818 yr comment_251133 Alot of people are happy keeping their African fish in what their tap water gives them I wouldnt! And if i had africans they wouldnt be alive in tapwater! lol Tap water here is 6.8 Report
July 14, 200818 yr comment_251135 Isn't the recipe great.. rather a few Af keepers use it overseas if need be... Would love to see more pics 8) What RECIPE is this ?? Report
July 14, 200818 yr comment_251137 Ignore my post about the recipe - had not read all the way down. :oops: Report
July 14, 200818 yr Author comment_251138 My tap water is about 6.8 and KH 1. Tried crushed shell but only got to 7.4 and KH 3 The recipe worked well for me, sofar. Report
July 14, 200818 yr comment_251143 Great looking tank. Once the algae starts to take over and covers the rocks its going to look awesome. Well done Report
July 14, 200818 yr comment_251163 I wouldnt! And if i had africans they wouldnt be alive in tapwater! lol Tap water here is 6.8 They would probably survive Dixon... well some, some wouldn't do so well long term... :-? :lol: Depending on what your water is like.. what your ph etc is.. some happily have their fish living in ph of around 7.5 yet have never stipulated what their kh is... We love the buffer recipe 8) Report
July 14, 200818 yr Author comment_251201 Yes, I build it in in a sort of a feature wall in the lounge and that wall isn't wider than 300 mm. I designed the background paper myself. It doesn't show very well on the picture, but it gives the illusion of a much wider tank. Visitors often look at the back to see how far it sticks out!! I made the most of the length. Report
July 14, 200818 yr Author comment_251203 All I want to add on, Ant N, are a few Fryeri. The tank will be stocked enough I think. Just see how it goes when the fish get bigger and start to claim there territory. Thanks Report
July 14, 200818 yr comment_251209 A 1.7meter tank and only 190Liters? Absolutely. It could be considerably less - you need to take all three dimensions into account to calculate vloume Report
July 14, 200818 yr comment_251211 Absolutely. It could be considerably less - you need to take all three dimensions into account to calculate vloume :-? :lol: Report
July 14, 200818 yr comment_251212 :-? :lol: :roll: And VLOUME is a new word I invented to mean VOLUME :oops: Report
July 14, 200818 yr comment_251213 I know lol, I was just wondering what the use of have such a long 190L afrikan tank when they are such messy fish, but then i saw he wasnt planning on putting many fish in there. Report
July 14, 200818 yr Author comment_251216 Messy fish, Dixon? giving them plenty of hiding places I think (hope) they will behave well and display a more or less natural behaviour, as long as the brichardi's are not to agressive. I know they can be, but I just love them. They're gracefull agressive. How is that? Report
July 14, 200818 yr comment_251217 I personally prefer a tank with greater depth back to front, to give greater surface area, but in this instance with the small number of fish it wont post a problem Im sure. Also, each tank has to be taken in context of where it is placed and the preferences of the owner. Having said that, this has the potential to look very impressive, especially if the illusion of greater depth can be achieved. Im looking forward to seeing pics with the fish visible Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.