new setup seeking advise/critisism

si_sphinx

i changed tank around a bit and added some plants.

what do you think, good? bad?

fish are:

3xelectric yellows

1xred top ice blue zeb

5xkeyholes

2xjacob peacocks

1xmalanochromis wetever its called

3xgiraffe haps

1xblue dolphin

Newsetup17.jpg

Newsetup14.jpg

fish027.jpg

fish040.jpg

last 2 pics are from old setup, just showing my fish :D

java ferns don't seem to do very well either. i can never seem to get my hands on a decent specimen/plant :-?

any advise would be much apprecieted regarding setup and fish selection.

you could have convicts, In a 270 litre tank I have, 5 Buffalo Head Cichlid

6 Blue dolphin (Cyrtocara moorii)

2 Blue Melanochromis + 1

6 Electric Yellows

1 Pair Kribensis

! Pair Bolivian Butterfly Rams

3 Convicts

1 Plec

2 Red Zebra's

2 Blue Cobalts

Java fern won't be doing well as the fish are probably eating it.

Whats your water like? Keyholes and africans have very different requirements, although you could probably keep them all together and happy around pH 7.0-7.2. The keyholes might get picked on by the africans too. Convicts would be alright with a pH around the higher end of 7, but I'd recommend only keeping males or females otherwise they'll start breeding and all hell will break loose...

My main concern is how big is that tank? Keyholes are relatively peaceful and afra are known to be quite agro, I haven't had problems with giraffes yet but they are known to get big and can pack a punch I doubt a keyhole would be robost or fast enough to get out of the way..

thanks, the tank is 180tlrs.

ph is sumwer between 7 and 8 so everyone seems happy with water cond.

yea afra gets a bit agro every now and then.

i think its the blue dolphin that chases the keyholes only so im getting rid of him.

the giraffes are the only 1s that dont pick on anything they just swim round keeping to themselves :)

http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk170/si_sphinx/?action=view&current=k013-1.flv

heres a video :D

Hi si_sphinx.

Personally, Ive never encountered to much aggression at all with my giraffes. I have some "large" ones as well as smaller ones in varying sized tanks and they are quite peaceful. You do however have to watch how big they get in comparisson to their tank mates (food cycle) :)

Keyholes + tankful of africans IMO is a disaster waiting to happen... certain mbuna can cut up rough.. and keyholes are certainly too peaceful to be putting up with Africans attitude.. it is when these fish really mature and get the whole idea on territory and breeding, that will be the problem. Africans are an interesting fish, you can have all peace and harmony going on in your tank and then wham, something upsets the apple cart and all hell breaks loose... and often the weakest link gets popped off, IMO your weakest link would probably be the slow moving Keyholes..

I certainly wouldn't suggest to anyone that your stocking of fish is a good idea, however, it could work for you, I hope so :o :lol:

I'm by no means a cichlid expert but I probably wouldn't have gone for the keyholes with potentially aggressive mbuna either...but like they say whatever works for you, you never know what individual fish will end up being like together :) On a lighter note the tank looks really good, love the rock work, contrasts with the fish nicely.

Keyholes should not be kept with other cichlids if the others are going to be aggressive. Keyholes are peaceful and shy and will just die a horrible death in with Africans.

Get another tank and put the keyholes in with some Tetras and/or Discus. Then everyone will be happy.