Major freak out

I just got home and fed my baby fighter a bbs cube and when I put the cube in I touched the water and it was freezing I checked the temp and it was 13 degress :o:o . I found the the heater plug thinking that it was broken and it wasn't plugged in so I quikly plugged it in and ran to get a jar and put some boiling water in it so hopefully the tank will heat up. I think it was turned off over night as I unpluggged the light and the heater cable was wrapped around it. I hope they make it as this will be my last spawn with that male and he's too old to breed now.

:o:o Good luck. I hope everything will be OK.

You're probably better off letting the heater warm it up rather than pouring boiling water in.

I agree. You don't want to raise the temp too quickly. It will add to the stress.

I have digital thermometers on all of my tanks so I can check the temps at a glance. It makes it much easier to catch a temp drop sooner rather than later.

Yeah I'm not pouring it straight in it's in a jar which is floating in the tank so it slowly heats it up and the heaters on. It's up to 19 and the fish are swimming around a bit more now. I've also turned the heater in the room on so that will hopefully help. good thing it has one of thoose built in hoods with the condensation things that helps hold in the heat.

Pheww

Im not the only one. Your lucky you found it when you did. I did the same before going away for four days. Came home to find two dead Surinamensis and one otto. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Hopefully your fish will be ok

my cats think the gap under the fish tanks is an escape route. they had managed to pull out the heater, on the tank that had my breeding pair of fighters in it, a couple of weeks ago.

i thought the heater was broken. went to change it and found the plug not in properly.

needless to say, i plugged it back in and they are fine :)

Temperate (cold at least) seems to place a lot less stress on the fish than over heating. And when the power goes its most likely going to be the oxygen drop that kills them off first. I'm trying to find battery powered cut in air pumps compatible with our NZ power sources. Lots of cheap US ones for 10-20$US but none for 220v yet...

Since they'd be using DC batteries when running the whole pump is probably powered by DC, likely just use a little wall wart power supply. You could replace that with a 220v one that puts out the right DC voltage.