white spots on severums !

Dubbo

I started noticing some white spots on the newly bought gold and green severums about a week ago, but the rest of the fishes seen to be fine ! I didn't think much of it at first but now I think those are white spots !

I went bought a bottle of white spot cure and on the instruction it said apply 1ml per 20L of aquarium on first day.

I measured out the volume of water (excluding gravel) to be about 200L, and thinking I want to try be gentle on the bristlenose in the tank, I put in 7.5ml of the stuff, and the water turned green.

Now the sad thing is I can start seeing some of my smaller fishes like barbs are twitching in the tank, I tried to turn up my temp to 28 degrees but it doesn't seen to go past 26 on the digital thermometer even though I cranked the setting right up possibly cause of cold weather ? (it's a heater in the ehiem filter)

Is there anything else I could do ? and will the green tint of the water disappear once I put in the carbon filter or will I need to do huge water changes after the disease is cured ?

I like to treat whitespot naturally before any meds...

Bump temp up to 28 is a good idea, extra airation and a bit of salt is all I do... and seems to nuke it well.

But a heater in your tank would be what I would do to try and get that temp up in the tank.

Carbon will take the discolouration out, possibly won't remove all but nothing that gradual water changes won't fix 8)

Something just suddenly came to me, I hope this is white spot, as I've seen the same white spot on this particular fish for awhile now (about a week now), and it hasnt' moved. From what I understand it's suppose to fall off and reinfect possibly in other locations and other fishes ? I did notice that a few other severums did not have white spots before but now has them on their fins etc, I will try post some pictures.

Here are the pictures I hope they are clear enough

whitespot2.jpg

whitespot1.jpg

All the white spots are located at the clear fin parts of fishes, the green severum has a lot more white spots on its side fins but it's kinda hard to take pictures of those.

The medication I got is called "Wunder whitespot cure" it contains 0.2% malachite green, 0.025% acriflavine, 0.02% quinine

Ummm to me it doesn't look like white spot.. the odd fish can have white mark type dots in the finnage/tail... Pics aren't the clearest but as far as I can see it isn't white spot... or could be the startings of... is what you see at this stage spreading?

I started noticing some white spots on the newly bought gold and green severums about a week ago, but the rest of the fishes seen to be fine ! I didn't think much of it at first but now I think those are white spots !

I went bought a bottle of white spot cure and on the instruction it said apply 1ml per 20L of aquarium on first day.

I measured out the volume of water (excluding gravel) to be about 200L, and thinking I want to try be gentle on the bristlenose in the tank, I put in 7.5ml of the stuff, and the water turned green.

Now the sad thing is I can start seeing some of my smaller fishes like barbs are twitching in the tank, I tried to turn up my temp to 28 degrees but it doesn't seen to go past 26 on the digital thermometer even though I cranked the setting right up possibly cause of cold weather ? (it's a heater in the ehiem filter)

Is there anything else I could do ? and will the green tint of the water disappear once I put in the carbon filter or will I need to do huge water changes after the disease is cured ?

If your barbs are twitching after useing meds i would be doing a water change.

The green severum has specks of white dots all over its fins, so I thought it's white spot, I also noticed white spots on fishes that never had them (I think), but the strange thing is those white spots never moved, even if without cure they suppose to fall off right ?

Yap, the temperature is going up steadily now, 26.8 at the moment, and I got gas heater turned on in that room, as well as a cover over the fish tank.

If the spots are still not falling off by tomorrow should I just treat it as a mistaken disease and put the carbon filter back in to remove med ?

My servrums have faint white spots tho not sure i would say they are spots more like markings.

Maybe you could go to a petshop and see there severums and see if they got them markings too then you would know for sure while you are there you could grab some tonic salt.

I already put some tonic salt in yesterday at the recommended dosage. I was gonna leave it at that actually but I read up on some posts about how tonic salt didn't work, and I really wanted to reduce fish death asap so I went for the white spot cure.

Now come to think of it, when I bought the baby oscar 3 weeks ago, it had a white spot on one of its side fin, I didn't think too much of it then, but it has disappeared ! And now all my severums have white dots which I think were never there. I was thinking of taking the bristlenose out of the medicated tank right now into another community tank but I am afraid it might bring white spot with it to the other tank.

Geeze this got me all confused now, when I search on net for symptom white spot on fish fins I get all sorts of results about the disease white spot, and seeing how one of my gold severum is having very poor appetite, it doesnt eat anything except the bottom feeder pallets, I thought it's white spot forr sure. Here's another shot of the green severum I hope it's clearer.

whitespot3.jpg

I would say white spot you have the treatment in your tank now,and if your fish are not afected,leave it for three days.Do a normal water change,keep temps up.As for the eating feed out some shrimp or live food.I would not worry to much about that at this stage as they are still settling in.Fish will do this when put in a new tank.Dont forget when you do a water change leave your heater off for twenty min.

Sorry I was meant to reply earlier to your new pic, doesn't look like white spot to me either, looks like the blemish type spots I have seen before on finnage, pectoral fins, dorsals and tail finnage can have these.... they can disappear also...

Are these spots spreading over the finnage, and are these spots spreading to the body area...

Sorry but it just doesn't look like white spot to me 8)

They aren't spreading and they haven't moved at all.

I did a 50% water change yesterday in fear of the med killing my bristlenose, and calculated the dose to use half strength. I couldn't keep the temperature at 28 unless I turn on the lights, I guess the heater just isn't powerful enough. If none of the spots have fallen off by Monday I am just gonna use carbon to remove it, I guess these maybe white spots that aren't white spots oO

My servrums also have them marks like on your pictures and sometimes they seem darker then other times faded its just there marking and don't look like white spots.

I would just leave them and keep and eye on the spots.

I put in the carbon cartridge into my filter today to take all the meds out, I don't think it's a case of white spot now but interestingly all the white spots that were on the fishes have now disappeared or turned into a white smudges .

Hopefully I can identify diseases better next time :) thanks for help everyone.