Bristle noses

malawi_man

My bristle nose lay bright orange eggs, how ever if the eggs are infertile the quickly go yellow like the yolk of a hard boiled egg.

I had the experience some years ago when I got a dozen bristle nose from interstate with the intention of getting some "new blood" into my line. I put the new males with some of my females, and the new females with my males. Two years of trying and no eggs so dumped all the fish in a five footer. They sorted themselves out and eggs every where. The only difference I could determine between the fish I got from south and mine was different coloured eggs. The fish looked almost identicle to me but they would not cross breed. The southern fish laid eggs that were paler with a greenish /yellow tinge to them.

This experience makes doubt a lot of the claims that cross bred ancistrus are being offered for sale.

Alan

This experience makes doubt a lot of the claims that cross bred ancistrus are being offered for sale.

Alan

I'd respectfully like to disagree, Alan...I recently had a spawn between what look's like two different BN's(possibly LDA72, and Ancistrus sp.3) and as the fry have been growing, I clearly have two different types of fry<---one type which is solid dark brown, and the other type which is a much lighter color with stripes on the tail...

david