Cleaner for malawi tank

tinytawnykitten

Bristlenoses in an African tank?

Now correct me if I am wrong, but bristlenose prefer a slightly acidic and softish water and need a bit of wood in there to rasp away at to suppliment their diet?

An African tank will have hard water and a alkaline pH.

I know bristlenose are tough as old boots a lot of the time, but how do they thrive as people seem to be reporting here?

I would love to drop a pair into my african tank to keep the place clean and tidy for me, but have been reluctant due to the percieved differences between the environment in the tank and what I *thought* a bristlenose preferred.

Well I personally don't keep bristlenoses in my african tanks but others do and they seem to work out ok... They seem to have adapted to the water parameters it seems, however, what are others keeping their ph at and how hard is their water?

I keep Common BN in Africans with no probs but I dont go overboard in the ph levels in those tanks- high sevens and everyone seems happy, in fact BN's and africans both spawn in there so must be fine.

TTK- get them as small as you can-never had one attacked yet- as they are more effective cleaners. Once they get toward adult size they tend to do more of the hidey hidey thing instead of beavering away as you want.

lol yeah as I said of course they prefer different conditions but mine seem to breed in the same tanks as the african's (tanks filled with limestone coral sand etc) so it obviously doesn't bother them too much so no need to stress I always recommend them as they work for me..

Of course if you want to be a purist then its no good and you might have to do the hard work cleaning out the tank yourself its OTY I guess :)

Bristlenoses in an African tank?

Now correct me if I am wrong, but bristlenose prefer a slightly acidic and softish water and need a bit of wood in there to rasp away at to suppliment their diet?

An African tank will have hard water and a alkaline pH.

I know bristlenose are tough as old boots a lot of the time, but how do they thrive as people seem to be reporting here?

I would love to drop a pair into my african tank to keep the place clean and tidy for me, but have been reluctant due to the percieved differences between the environment in the tank and what I *thought* a bristlenose preferred.

The PH isnt that big a difference, I thought it was closer to 6.8-7 for BN.

And you can still put a small piece of wood in the tank for them, just use a piece that has been in a tank for ages so it wont leech.