Grass on my glass?

myxsptlk

Hey peoples,

I've been cycling my tank for about 4 weeks now, probably more, and all this while there hasn't been any algae or diatoms of any sort. For the past 4 weeks my tank has been looking white, white rocks and white sand.

I only just got my lights sorted last week so I suppose the lack of light caused the lack of algae. The first few days the tank looked even whiter with the white-ish lights on it.

Last night I had a look to see if there was anything and nope still white and I sighed to myself, weird I know but I always thought that the algae was a sign that the cycle was nearing completion and at the very least the water is capable of sustaining some life form.

Came home from work today and boom, brown patches all over the place! Ugly as sin but I was happy haha. I was expecting the brown stuff, but what I wasn't expecting was tiny little patches of what I can only describe as grass all over the glass. If you can imagine a bare field where someone stuck shrubs of grass nice and evenly across the field, that's what it looks like.

I read up a bit and saw hair algae being mentioned, could this be it? I thought that usually only happened after the brown stuff disappeared and not appear all at once. Should I just leave it or scrape it off with a glass cleaner? I don't want to scrape it off only to find out they're like aiptasia and grow from tiny bits.

Thanks all!

Its just hair algae, common and one of the algae phases you'll go through.

Remove what you can, be patient as it will come back, but eventually, as your tank matures, it will die off.

Without being rude, this is very basic saltwater stuff, which you should know before setting a tank up. Do some more research, buy a book or two.

Its just hair algae, common and one of the algae phases you'll go through.

Remove what you can, be patient as it will come back, but eventually, as your tank matures, it will die off.

Without being rude, this is very basic saltwater stuff, which you should know before setting a tank up. Do some more research, buy a book or two.