Cichlids rubbing themselves on sand

tinytawnykitten

It can be irritation.... If there are many doing it tho, I would give the tank a water change for starters and see where you go from there.

For Gill Flukes I heard that a quick salt bath helps, yet we use Prazi... and it has worked wonders. Just have a look around on the net and see what you can find on symptoms and treatments.. there is some good reading out there on alternative treatments etc

I wouldn't panic too much, the odd one or two of mine have done it in the past, and it has just been a random scrape on the bottom, if it is rather a few doing it tho I would definately look into it, just keep an eye and just make sure it isn't possibly the starting of itch either... 8)

If you have had a sudden ph drop it could possibly be causing it too...

Oh and the signs of Gill Flukes in the lot of Gold Saum that we purchased was really noticeable.. they were very dark red around the gill plates, and very rapid breathing, like they were struggling to breathe.

3 days treatment of Prazi and you wouldn't think they are the same fish.. 8)

It can be irritation.... If there are many doing it tho, I would give the tank a water change for starters and see where you go from there.

For Gill Flukes I heard that a quick salt bath helps, yet we use Prazi... and it has worked wonders. Just have a look around on the net and see what you can find on symptoms and treatments.. there is some good reading out there on alternative treatments etc

I wouldn't panic too much, the odd one or two of mine have done it in the past, and it has just been a random scrape on the bottom, if it is rather a few doing it tho I would definately look into it, just keep an eye and just make sure it isn't possibly the starting of itch either... 8)

If you have had a sudden ph drop it could possibly be causing it too...

It is just the e. yellows. I will check ph and look into Prazi. Any ideas where I can get it?

only my fryeri did that if i remember rightly. i didnt do anything about it as it didnt look much more than them playing. I havn't seen them do it since. What sizes are the fish? Mine were juvies when they started that.

Yeah it is the smaller ones, 4cms ish, not the big fellas. I only have a ph kit, I should buy a full test kit.