Hospice tank

Caryl

I have just been asked by the local hospice if I (or the club) would set up an aquarium in the hospice lounge. I am sure I will be able to get everything needed donated.

Where the tank is to go is only temporary as it will have to be shifted in about 12 months when they do alterations so we thought to start off with a small tank and, once the head lady (who is anti any kind of animal in the hospice :cry: ) has got used to it (it is being snuck in on her day off 8) ), we can update to a decent size when it is time to shift. :wink:

I have a 46cm x 30 x 30 tank here which will be about 35L once I allow for gravel etc so will use that as a starter. Trying to decide what to put in it? Probably have an UGF or internal Shark, depending on what I find I have left after all was picked over by conference attendees :roll: :lol:

I favour small barb types, rather than guppies (which have a tendency to drop dead when they aren't multiplying out of control) and am thinking perhaps cherry barbs and/or Hengeli rasboras. I have spare BNs for the bottom. Any other suggestions?

I will be in ChCh next month so will be able to get some fish then.

That is awesome Caryl :D

Shame the lady there doesn't like animals of any kind, the hospice here in Hastings where my dad spent rather a bit of time before he passed on due to cancer, they had a resident cat who the patients loved having around the place, and a beautiful tank on display... this particular hospice has an amazing warm feeling about the place even tho it is a place of sadness and sickness...

Good luck with the tank :D Hmmm suggestions.... I love dwarf chain loaches... about 3 would look neat 8)

Chain loaches - there's a thought. They often have them at Organism too 8)

Do they need a mature tank?

It seems odd they can't even have a cat. My boss breeds Birmans and had one lined up to donate. He was adorable and so friendly and laid back he would have been ideal (the cat that is) but the woman claimed 2 of the nurses were allergic so turned the offer down!

I think for best effect it should be a species tank, something that is active - barbs are ok. 1/2 - 1 Doz plain old zebra danio's work too.

B/n would be interesting for the residents as there so ugly(yes :lol:) , I would be incline to leave chain loachs until the tank is either established or the bigger tank is installed.

Remember K.I.S.S Caryl :wink:

Chain loaches - there's a thought. They often have them at Organism too

Do they need a mature tank?

Ummmm yeap I would definately leave the loaches till tank is mature Caryl for Chainies, however, they would be awesome to go in later down the track ;):D Their interaction with one another is enough to catch anyones eye... love the idea of the barbs instead of guppies tho... it is actually nice to see a tank of barbs... Will be good when they let you upgrade to a larger tank. That way you have more option and room to play with :lol:

a little off the exact topic but hospice is a great cause to raise funds for. two months ago i donated a kitchen to "Project H" in kerikeri for kerikeri Hospice when they built & sold a transportable house in 4 days. It was a massive risk but paid off, the house sold at auction at the end of day 4 for $215K. all materials & labour were donated so all of the $ went to the hospice as a donation, amazing!

I think I will use a 76cm x 30 x 30 tank instead which will give me 65L or so. It is one I want to keep but this will be temporary as hopefully when they add on to the hospice they will want a bigger tank and I will get this one back :lol:

That will open up my options for fish.

Our hospice is always fundraising as it only gets a quarter of the money required from govt. We have a hospice shop too and lots of activites to fund raise. Always a worthy project.

I think I will use a 76cm x 30 x 30 tank instead which will give me 65L or so. It is one I want to keep but this will be temporary as hopefully when they add on to the hospice they will want a bigger tank and I will get this one back :lol:

maybe this may bean option for fundraiser if they could find a builder to organise it.

here's a link to the website

http://projecth.org/

way back in the sixties I established a tank in the sunset old folks home...it was enjoyed by the residence soooo much...unfortunatly tooo much ..each and every oldie would give 1/2 there biscut to these fish every day untill the staff asked for it to be removed...it used to have biscuts floating all over the place..my sagestion is sort out the lid so they cannot feed them.

then again there is a tall hex tank in arran court where my mum is & it is fine..maybe too high for them. it has about 6 coloured goldfish in it so reduces the power bill I guess...all the best.

One of our members used to have tanks set up in rest homes but didn't have that problem. She had to stock with gourami or larger sized fish though as the residents thought the tank was empty as they couldn't see fish smaller than that! :lol:

Caryl, I love the idea of a tank in the hospice! So calming and gentle - and nobody can claim to be allergic to fish hair! :lol:

I second the idea of cherry barbs. They are colourful and active, and compatible with virtually any other community fish later, when you upgrade the tank. My male cherry barbs are always busy flaring their fins at each other and making quite a spectacle of themselves, and the females are pretty with their stripes, too.

I am told cherry barbs are the least nippy of all barbs. I cannot give an informed comment as none of the barbs I have kept have ever been nippy.

Perhaps a school of 9 or 10 cherry barbs, a similar school of danios for the top layer of the tank, and a couple of beautifully ugly bristlenoses for the bottom? Then a variety of pretty plants and some attractive drift wood. Lovely.

I only wish I was down your way to help set it all up and look after it. This would really be a worthwhile project.