New Tank Q Substrate

TM

Just planning out my next project and trying to decide on which substrate i am going to use.

Plan at this stage is to build a 1000 x 500 x 550h aquarium made from 8mm low iron glass with polished edges, total water height will be 500mm. Size was based on where the tank could fit.

Lighting will be either 4 or 6 39w T5's staggered to give a good spread of light.

Selection of plants, driftwood, rocks etc with a few tetras.

So the question really is what substrate do you all run, what do you like about it and would you use it again. Not wanting gravel more sand like. Is there a large range of colors out there?

Any other comments welcome...

Thanks

I like darker gravel too.

I think its called Brightwater Gravel, but that's my favourite, best gravel ever IMO. Its the right size (not too big to clean, not too small to clump up) and has great dark colouration without looking fake. Trouble is you can't just hop down to the landscapers and buy 20kg of it. I always end up paying an outrageous amount for bags and bags and bags.

I love Daltons Propagating Sand, beautiful and natural looking 8) I have recently set up an african tank and have used this black substrate that looks like black sand, put out by Aqua One... the fish looking stunning against it, coral rock and limestone look fantastic against the black also.. I have seen a planted tank with this used as the top layer and it looks fantastic against the green plants.

in my main tanks I still use undergravel filters coverd in a thin layer of fine fabric to stop the fines going through together with a can filter that gives me min 15 min all water pass through...then I use a layer of pumice sand from taupo..built up to 60mm in places with rocks...I am convinced the small pumice grains ( some up to 3mm ) help with the bio filter system...results are the water is GIN CLEAR :)

in my main tanks I still use undergravel filters coverd in a thin layer of fine fabric to stop the fines going through together with a can filter that gives me min 15 min all water pass through...then I use a layer of pumice sand from taupo..built up to 60mm in places with rocks...I am convinced the small pumice grains ( some up to 3mm ) help with the bio filter system...results are the water is GIN CLEAR :)

Undergravel filters are totally underrated.

Doesn't pumice float? I'm confused! :o

I like darker gravel too.

I think its called Brightwater Gravel, but that's my favourite, best gravel ever IMO. Its the right size (not too big to clean, not too small to clump up) and has great dark colouration without looking fake. Trouble is you can't just hop down to the landscapers and buy 20kg of it. I always end up paying an outrageous amount for bags and bags and bags.

Yeah brightwater gravel is my favourite. Dark but not black - more of a dark charcoal colour.

My perfect substrate would be a layer of Dalton's aquatic soil, followed by a layer or brightwater fine gravel, with a bit of pure laterite mixed in with the gravel.

Shows the fish off perfectly, clown loaches can have fun digging (without stirring up clouds of sand), plants thrive in it...