Via aqua 300 filters

ynot

High guys/guyess',I have a va300 filter,have just recently cleaned the media,upon setting it up again and operating it is making more noise(usually hardly hear it)from the cabinet,also the taps are leaking when the taps are turned off,both from the tap and base area which can move to suit the angle of hose,when power is on it is ok.

Has anyone a website where I can get a diagram to remove the taps from the head unit as I may replace the whole shebang,have seen they can be replaced rather than just the tap connection,also would replacing the impeller shaft be ok or do the whole impeller replacement including shaft.There is a little free play in shaft but not much,also no air in cannister.

Oh also we are shifting from Taranaki(Hawera)to Palmerston Nth shortly,we will take the tank with us unless sold,with shifting fish(tropicals)what is the best way.We will place the fish in a bag placed inside a foam chillybin,prior to doing this would using a hot water bottle to heat the bin help,then thought put fish inside this bin and into another larger chilly bin.I hope to drain the tank prior to departing and the fish maybe in the bin for 2-3 hours,is this too long?Many thanks from a noobie. :D

you don't say how old the unit is

taps may not be seated properly on the housing or "o" rings

if no airlock in canister i think those impellers have little washers in them , did you reassemble everything in the right order of parts

rubber seats at ends of shaft can get worn and allow a little more movement making rattle noise

a plastic bag and one chilly bin should be o.k. for 2-3 hours

When shipping fish from the suppliers they are double bagged and placed in a polystryrene box with a heat pack or two. (a bottle of warm water will suffice as a heat pack). This way the fish survive the overnight shipping without any problem. I can't see any difficulty's with using a similar method for a 2-3 hour transport.

Good Luck

The filter is at least 5 yrs old,replaced impeller about 2yrs ago,mostly a bit concerned with small leaks around taps where they join,both the hose and top of cannister when power turned off,or taps off.The impeller has both rubber tips on.

Any idea how easy it is too replace the taps from the top of headunit,do they screw in as I thought there maybe faulty seals,they rotate ok.Just a small amount of water appears,i.e a drip not a torrent.

Thought the fish would be ok in warm chillybin.

Removed the top again,emptied the canister,filled it through the breather,then after 2ltrs put in turned the inlet tap open,turned the outlet at same time as fitting the bleed cap,turned it on and quiet.

The inlet tap was dripping,so mucked around with that,swapped taps and found the tap was leaking at tap on/off swivel,not much but enough to be anoying,doh!!!At least it isn't the leaking from the base swivel point.

Check out this website-->

http://www.commodityaxis.com/ProductData.aspx?id=48

I have not actually ordered from this company, but they seem to have the greatest selection and I found some of the info & pictures of all the parts available very helpful.

Though most of all Vinsons advice was most helpful in an old post when my canister was leaking! ...might be some relevant info there *goes to look for old post*

here's the old thread-->

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/help-my-canister-filter-is-leaking--vp315764.html#315764

Many thanks guys,the taps have been found in local area shop,off a aqua one 700 model,also did some kiwi ingenuity stuff as well,have 4 taps,so got a tube of silicon sealer,placed it around the bottom of taps,seems ok,and grabbed a couple of 1/2" rubber 'o' rings from Mitre 10,placed them at base of the tap,screwed tap back onto base outlet,was a bit worried as the plastic expanded a little,a very small drip was present,so ran some silicon around the area and a week later no leaks.

Much appreciated the help though to all,hope this helps others too.

Check out this website-->

http://www.commodityaxis.com/ProductData.aspx?id=48

I have not actually ordered from this company, but they seem to have the greatest selection and I found some of the info & pictures of all the parts available very helpful.

Though most of all Vinsons advice was most helpful in an old post when my canister was leaking! ...might be some relevant info there *goes to look for old post*

here's the old thread-->

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/help-my-canister-filter-is-leaking--vp315764.html#315764

Thanks for the website above,had seen it after google searching,but can't register on it,just tried again but no luck,doh!

silicone is a good idea but that "fixes" the swivels so will no longer swivel. As for the leaking tap, pressure test it by blocking on end with your finger on one end & blow into the other. I got a 2nd hand Via aqua 600 this week & had same problem. tested the taps, no problem. screwed it back on & it leaked. it turns out that if you dont have the tap perfectly lined up when screwing it on it will leak for some reason.

Yes cross threading the taps is easy,I think the problem comes from after removing the taps when cleaning to remove the lid,then refitting the taps and tightening up too tight,thus the seal of bottom of tap gets a groove and causes a small leak.

The silicon is a temporary measure for time being,and means the tap can't swivell anymore,also the hose is prone to pushing back on filter body when placed in cabinet,this causes the taps to leak,but if the hose is pushed back away from filter and not tucked tight against the cabinet or filter is ok.