severums

Keza

Hi i just purchased a couple of severums .... one is plain cream in colour and the other is cream/yellow with spots . how do i tell male from a female? oh and how quick are they going to grow? i also have 3 angels a pleco ,1 gorami,2 danos ...... all are young .... what sizes am i looking at? and what size tank in cm or mils am i going to need ? can i have any advice that could make my life easyer.... as i have now herd severums are nasty

Severums aren't nasty at all. At least, mine aren't, the only bad thing I can say about them are they are serious pigs. Eat anything and everything. May eventually eat your danios too. But may not. At least mine I'd say it's 50/50 if they wouldn't or would.

As for sexing them...Hmmm, I'm not sure exactly, I think females generally have more rounded ends of their fins and fewer spots and lines on their face. Assuming you feed them well and have good water conditions and everything so their growth isn't stunted they'll probably be around 5" in a year or so. Mine are about 7" and are around 2 years old.

What else...Oh, feed them some spinach or lettuce every once in a while, they love it.

I have a green severum, by the sounds of what has been said a male. I have him for sale on trade me at the moment ($1res). Someone has said they would like him if I go to Whangarei, they want to put him in with a pair of gold severums. Will they hurt him when they breed? Mine never looks happy and is never too hungry, doesn't run out to get any food or anything. Would he improve if he had a friend? He just hides in the plastic plants all day.