Breeding african butterfly fish

fins

I had 3 for about 5 years floating ontop of my 6 ft tank and never had success breeding them. Then I gave them to a friend who put them in soft water and within two weeks he had eggs floating between his duckweed, guess its just luck sometimes but we never could get a spawn past the first 3days though.

Here's a little readup, You can do a google search as well!!

http://fish.orbust.net/africanbutterflyfish.html

• 2 months later...

Ok Iv made up my mind and ordered a pair. Im also going to order a wingless fruit fly culture. Im going to find a tank that is shallow with a large surface area. The top is going to have no disturbance and covered in duckweed and other floating plants. The tanks also going to have a tight lid to stop jumping and keep humidity up. pH will be about 6 and temp about 26. Ill keep the water soft by adding peat extract. Thats the best mimic of africa I can do. Anyone know other floating live foods I can use? As these fry are possibly the hardest to raise I will just have to keep trying.

26C may be too low a temp, the information I have about spawning them is that the temperature needs to be closer to 28. My pair hoe into mealworms (have to be carful placing them on the water surface so that they get held up by the water tension), also wax moths - both the larvae and the moths themselves.

Ok temp now is going to be 28 degrees. Ill have a collection of insects I find around the house for feeding them. The fry are hard because they dont look for food but eat what ever comes very close to them. Anyone know what I could about that? Maybe I should get some of those golden pearls and see how they work seeing that they float and the fry stay near the surface. Anyone know how to make micro worms float?? :D