Pitbull Ban lifted in the Netherlands.

I have nothing against American pitbulls, there are some wonderful beautiful examples of pets out there... however... I feel that only selected responsible owners should own them... and a special license should be obtained.... this shouldn't just apply for the pitbull as such... Akitas etc also... I don't think PB's should be banned, just responsible people who have proven responsible should be able to keep them. Keep a tight restraint on ownerships of the dangerous or menacing breeds as they put it.. even tho as a child I was badly biten by a springer spaniel who just ran at me across the lawn and bit my face... hmm are they a menacing breed to? Seems so, I mean it attacked me... :roll:

We (our family) love English Bull Terriers (roman nosed stocky sherman tanks, is a good way to describe them) :lol: ... always have loved them as a breed and always will, we actually have a new pup coming next week, however, I do tire of people labelling them APB Terriers :lol: They get tarred with the same brush unfortunately, when the breeds are nothing alike :roll:

It may be useful to enforce proper temperament testing of all dogs when puppies. Some dogs have a vicious temperament and some don't. A good owner will help a lot but if the tendency is in the dog to start with a moments inattention could be fatal. It's not the dogs fault and sometimes not the owners fault, but mostly the nature of the dog that causes the problem.

I've seen temperament testing done on quite a few different breeds of dog and it works very well when deciding where to home the dog and what it will be suitable for. I don't know if will work successfully on all breeds but if it could it may just head off the bulk of the problems (really bad dogs could be culled). As Afrikan says, picking responsible owners is likely to help as well.

I fully agree with temperament testing! They should have tighter laws in place rather then "trying" to cull the entire breed. Doing such would just shift the problem onto a different breed when the APBT, etc would cease to exist here. Also are they trying to put a total ban on "terrier" type dogs? I'm sure I read that somewhere recently after the attacks in the last couple of weeks. Although I know they mean well, but its just going to push the breeders further underground.

Rather then fully banning them, they really should be lifting the current ban and doing the tests and training the owners. Would hate to lose my dogs because of a mis-informed decision.

Haven't heard any ban in regards to English Bullys or Staffordshires... better darn well not be...... :evil: Just because one particular dog with "bull terrier" in its name gets a bad rep, it better not fall back on other breeds with "bull terrier" in their name...

APBT dogs or pups apparently are not allowed to be advertised on a certain auction site any longer, I was told that someone had placed an advert and the advert was removed and they were sent an email from auction site staff saying that no adds were to be placed advertising dangerous or menacing dogs... :-? There are English Bully adverts and English Staffy adverts, which are allowed.. even American Staff adverts are allowed.

There are a majority of dog rangers out there that are getting fed up of hearing the public slamming of APBT...

A pic of our English Bully? We have an old girl who is 13, on her last legs.... :cry: We have a pup arriving next week, so can't wait to get her :D However, gonna miss our old girl like crazy tho when she passes... :cry: Will put some pics up when we get her 8) I have a pic of her relatives tho that I can put on later :)