Newish to Killies

Afrikan

Heya Killi people :) We have decided we want to keep a couple of species going. I love albino gardneri (my pet name for them "white maggots" :lol:)

We are new to killies (however kept a few little random ones in the past), and we are wanting to make sure we are doing everything right by what we have. We have some young albino gardneri that we are growing on, and I have noticed that they have slightly clamped fins, mainly the tail clamped, could anyone out there give me an idea on what could possibly be affecting these guys... Hubby was told by a killi keeper here in Napier that it could well be temp, (too warm for them).. We had them out in the fish shed.... unheated tank... however I read on the net that they can tolerate 20-25 degrees celcius...

Please could anyone shed some light.. our ph conditions suit what it states that they need on the net... water parameters are fine.. could it well be heat or?

Mine are in the garage and the temp in there gets into the high 20s... 28 and may well be more when Im away and the garage door is shut.

If the Ph gets a bit low (under 6) I will often start loosing Killis (not Nothos) so I keep mine inbetween 6.5 and 7. Change the water as often as you can. Albinos Gardneri are not hard to breed.

Welcome to the addiction

Thanks for the feedback 8) The ph is fine and hmmm thinking it may not be temp then hmmmm.. I added a bit of salt last night and they seemed to have picked up.. a little, alot more active and a little less clamped, still clamped tail on the male tho... hmmm will keep and eye and might do another little water change, however, things seem to be fine water wise..

Are they a lover of frequent water changes?

my answer to everything is change the water and salt

Do you have some Java Moss in with them... its always good for them to hide in if your not breeding....Most (I think all) killis like darker more "private" lodgings. This also brings out the best colouring in them

What other specie do you have?

If your not a member of the Killi club, it would pay to have a ook at joining as there is good info avaible

Thanks for that Barrie, I will make the change 8) I have a float in there with a huge amount of java moss within the tank.. so they have plenty of hiding space, just would love to get on top of this clamp tail/fin thing that is going on... :-? :D

I joined the Killi Club, Alan Wakelin joined us up at the conference before last 8) We are going to rejoin again, have to pop our subs in the post 8)

We just have the Albino Gardneri for now, yet have another 2 tanks spare for something different.