Mbuna setup

fins

Hey

I was thinking of getting a african cichlid setup and Im interested in mbunas. What do you guys with experience think about tank sizes. filtration, decorations, gravel eg. Also stockage levels, photos would be good if you have some spare time. :D

thanks

Do LOTS of research first. With Africans, there are a lot of variables. It is also important what size fish are when they are added (and depends on what else is going in) and the order they are added. They are very territorial.

Also some will interbreed so you end up with plain loooking fry so be careful what you mix with what.

i got a 75 gal tall (2ft x 2ft x 2.5ft tall ) and thay love it

i have about 40 mubuna in there (offset by large amounts of filteration and airation)

i am running a fluval 304 and a fluval 404 into this tank which is 3 times the recommended ltr pr hour turn over for this volume of water but they love it and are breeding happily and contently

my breeding is done in seperate small breeder tanks and cause of the amunt in my display tank not many fry survive for cross breeding to be a major problem

i have the tank full from top to bottom with rock and corol (takes care of the higher ph requirements of these beuties) which protudes about half the depth aswell

the scraps are taken care of by a mystus cat (not the ideal conditions for it i know) but he does a lovely job

the 303 has an airation tip that mixes alot of air into the tank and i have alot of airtablets handy in case of power failure