June 22, 200422 yr comment_19667 i want 2 find out about archer fish as i might think about getting 1 or 2. I need 2 know.....how big they grow, wat size tank do they need, r they brackish or salt or fresh water, and how much do they cost? Report
June 22, 200422 yr comment_19688 Havent Seen Archers for ages, the las tones I saw were in Oz, before that it must have been several years ago, Hollywoods I think it was Have a look at the link below for the info you need on these guys http://www.naturia.per.sg/buloh/verts/archer_fish.htm /Bruce Report
June 22, 200422 yr comment_19700 Archers are a brackish fish, they need precise water conditions and importers tend to steer away from such a fish. You don't tend to see many brackish fish around. The only ones I have seen are a couple of scats and an orange chromide or two. I would love to set up a brackish tank with some scats, some monos and a couple of archers. Puffers are also a unique brackish fish. But to answer your question they generally grow to around 8" and would be best in a group of about 6 or more so you wouldn't want a tank any smaller than 55 gallons. The cost? I couldn't tell you. Report
June 23, 200422 yr comment_19708 Kribcrazy.....you're coming to Christchurch right? Youre in luck....there seems to be a sudden 'boom' in stocking archers down here at the moment, with most dedicated stores having them over the last few months, how-ever they do seem to sell rather quickly! The last place i saw them (on the weekend) was at Critter Kingdom, they had maybe 10 in stock. From memory they retail at around the $30 mark....... They are a very attractive fish, probably even nicer in the flesh, than in pictures......I toyed with getting a few myself a while back, but seeing they are brackish water fish, I didnt have a tank I could put them into. I guess the ideal setup would be a deep tank that you could half full, with some 'out of water plants' hanging over the waters surface, throw in some live flies, crickets etc, and watch the archers do their thing..... I read somewhere that the force in which they 'shoot' their prey is rather strong, and if you were to have your hand in front of it, it would be like getting a tiny electric shock! Hope this helps........ ChrisMack Report
June 23, 200422 yr Author comment_19712 wow is it that strong? i don't think i'll hav time 2 get a tank setup and it's still only a thought. Report
June 23, 200422 yr comment_19715 I have a couple of these great fish! and they are currently thriving in my fresh water tank!... I have had them for about a month and they have grown heaps!!.... although one night the pair of them snacked 4 half grown tiger barbs!!!! Report
June 25, 200422 yr comment_19810 archerfish have a potential size of 1 foot....... and yes, they are a brackish species and will be stunted easily with poor water conditions, small tank size ect. and they are a huge tempation when you see them :lol: Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.