Survival story =)

rollergirl

It's been a while since I've posted but I just had to share my amazement at what I found today with you guys....

I moved house about 3 months ago and in the process broke down the little 21 litre jebo tank I had been using to breed killies. It has since sat in my cold basement bedroom, half full of water, unlit, unheated and unfiltered, the whole time. Well today while doing water changes on my other tanks, I thought I might as well set it up again for a nice crowntail fighter when one comes along...Imagine my surprise when after filling it up and turning everything on, I see a tiny wee killie fry happily swimming about on his (her?) own! :D :bounce: :bounce:

I know killies like it cold but the water was blimmin freezing (well it felt like it to my hands anyway- was sitting at 18 C on the thermometer so all things considered that's probably quite balmy, lol) Still put a smile on my dial anyway! My little survivor is now darting in and out of the plants in his newly decorated tank, slowly being brought up to a slightly more tropical temp (have set heater to 20C so it doesn't give him too much of a shock) So it looks like I won't be adding that crowntail for a while now, lol :D

Anyone else got any stories of survival against the odds they'd like to share? I've heard some crazy ones about convicts breeding outside in inch deep water before...that's !!!! :o

i had a small exo terra tank which i put baby frogs into and had a few mountain minnow fry in the water part quite course gravel aneway the frogs all died and i thort i had got all the mountain minnow out but a few months later i found some behind the background sitinng in 1cm of water a bit bigger than wat i had last seen them

I dumped 30 or so baby convicts into my tank with oscars and a green terror. None to be seen after the feeding frenzy was done.

Then a few months later during a large clean i find a healthy convict living between some rocks... much to the delight of the green terror curiously following my hands around the tank... :-(

I did try to sell them first! Honest! Breeding convicts is a futile exercise as NO ONE wants the babies... Cept for hungry monsters that is...

Well I put a crowntail in in the end...found a gorgeous one on trade me and couldn't resist!...but thankfully the larger fry is still swimming around after 2 days with the fighter, so fingers x'd, he'll make it to adulthood. :) Think he's a bit fast for the fighter!

I decided to install a 3 foot under gravel filter into my 4 foot tank while it was full of water and most the fish. Once the murk settled down about a week later I had about 100mm of gravel. I noticed that my rainbow shark was missing. I thought he would have died in about a day being stuck under there. Well when I packed up the tank 2 YEARS :o later guess who was under the filter pale but slightly larger. I called him Smeagle :P and felt very guilty :(