Bristlenose with large fin injury...

DonnaM

I have a female bristlenose Aucistris who has co-habited with red ears and snake necks with no issues for the past 10mths. However 2 days ago I swapped some turtles about and put 2 new 4yr old snake necks in with her... The next morning she had 2/3rds of her back fin (dorsal fin is it??) missing and several pieces out of her tail. She's still swimming fine and I've given her a large fake island thing to hide in. Will the fins grow back? Do I need to do anything for her? (Apart from keep the new snake necks away from her?) I don't know alot about cat fish, other than she's really cool to look at and does wonders with cleaning the tank and I feel terrible that this has happened to her. Any ideas or suggestions would be gratefully recieved. ( They also killed the golden algae eater by biting its dosal fin off completely... Quite a surprise when even a 22yr old red ear hadn't bothered them at all prior to this.) :(

Watch for infections or fungal attacks, I have successfully treated my BN with furan 2 if it looks dodgy i'd isolate her and give her a course of that. BN are tough, but I wouldn't keep em with any turtles I know. Good luck

Thanks for all that, really appreciated. I've popped her in with 4x 4mth old RES so don't think they'll be able to do too much damage... :) I'll keep a look out for any fungus etc and heres hoping the fins may grow back!

• 3 weeks later...