Breeding Ideas.

Hi guys,

I was just wondering what size BNs have to be till they can breed/be sexed? I have a big male in my community tank and 5 small ones (I'm hoping atlest one will be a female). I want to breed a fish that is easyt to breed and can breed in a community tank and still have fry live. I've had platys which were great but they toook a long time to grow. Is there anything else you can think of all I can think of is BN's and livebearers but I don't wont to keep breeding livebearers. Also I may have a spare tank that I can raise some fry in but would rather able to breed in the tank.

I've put the "female" BN in a bigger tank (my 2ft that also has the big male in it). I'm also feeding them veges and hoping that she'll grow faster. I was just wondering do I need to make a proper cave? How big does the cave need to be? How long will it take for the female to grow to a decent size?

Bristlenoses will sort out their own breeding spots if they have a few options. Mine made a 'nest' under a piece of driftwood. Just make sure the substrate is reasonably fine (so they can clear out the space they need) and there are some overhanging plants to make some nice dark corners in the tank.

Some things can't be rushed! I don't think you can hurry it along, except by making sure they have plenty of good food available, plenty of options about where to nest, and some quiet time together. :wink:

Good luck.

I've just made my cave. It's a polystyron cave with the bottom cut out and covered pebbles that are glued onto it. Its 9cms long with a hole with a 4.5 diameter. Does this sound any good?

I've got another cave as the other one wasn't right. It's a glass bottle that has a brown tinge to it so I can see in it but not too easily. It's 12cms long (so it's long enough for my 9cm bn) and it's down his favourite corner down behind a rock. So hopefully he'll take it up as his cave and when my female is big enough they'll breed.

So far a gold ram has gone in to get a tablet that I put in there and a bit of corgete flew up and blocked his way out so she got trapped in there and after I got her out two platies swam in :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

Cam you could always go down to a garden centre and pick up a cheep terracotta pot 150 or 200mm wide, chip at the lip until its 3/4 the width of you male (including the pectoral fins), turn it upside down and you will have the perfect cave.

Cam you could always go down to a garden centre and pick up a cheep terracotta pot 150 or 200mm wide, chip at the lip until its 3/4 the width of you male (including the pectoral fins), turn it upside down and you will have the perfect cave.

Wouldnt the water under the cave go bad? With the Plecos pooing all the time and possible fry deaths?

Yeah but I thought that would've been to big for the spot where I wanted it to go. The male seems to like the bottle he goes in for a while then leaves then comes back.