Underground Gravel jets

NPnewbie

I found this site on underground gravel jets by Marc Elieson:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ug_jets.php

I haven't been able to find a contact email for the author so was wondering if anyone on here has any expertise with this idea. I am particularly interested in what kind of pump can be used...I want to use something small like a Rio 180 or 200 (3L/min and 3.5L/min respectively) and was wondering how many jets these would handle.

Secondly where to position the jets around my tank because it's not rectangular.

thirdly I believe this would rectify any dead spots but how would Betta's like all the water movement?? I've read they like still water.

Thanks in advance to everyone who has taken the time to read and answer this. All responses appreciated.

i set up one of these systems in my old 4 footer and used a 1500l/hr powerhead to run it it worked good to keep out the dead spots but didnt filter much so i made a filter to go around the power head about 15 cm across and the entire width of the tank cut some slits in the top so it was sort of like a in tank skimmer filled it wit bio balls som crushed coral and a bit of filter wool it worked so well that i didnt have to do water changes until it came time to clean the filter media (bout 6 months)

i like the idea of incorporating a reverse flow undergravel system in a filter set up.. to maximise biological filtration and aid removal of debris etc.

my question is this.. what is the advantage of using several multiple jets (as the setup on the page to which the original post linked did), over simply using a traditional (or diy) ug plate upon which the substrate sat, providing flow through the entire substrate?

any thoughts on this, and experiences of reverse flow ug systems would be appreciated.

henry

no, i'm probably misunderstanding this thread :(

from the plans of the original post, the jets seem to be located beneath (or within) the substrate, to stop debris settling on the gravel and so make regular gravel vacuumin unnecessary.

my question was why an ug plate wasnt used instead of multiple jets - surely an ug plate with water flowing up through it would be more effective in preventing debris settling on the substrate then several jets?

my reference to the biological function of ug filtration was admittedly unrelated :D

i would be interested in hearing from anybody who uses reverse flow ug filtration OR any sort of ug 'jet' system - in particular how effective such systems are in keeping gravel clean, and whther such systems actually can replace regular vacuuming :)

apolagies if these queries are off-topic for this thread :oops:

henry

I can see where you are headed, I think Ira and I had a discussion about this one day. But in a slightly different way. The gist of it is to keep the substate moving so nothing settles.

The one I am working on is along the lines of positive pressure underneath the plate essentially creating the same effect but effectively floating the substrate and plate by water pressure