Combatable?

kd123

Would a Aequidens pulcher Cichlid (blue acara), Firemouth Cichlid - Thorichthys meeki and a Keyhole Cichlid - Cleithracara maronii, either single or in pairs or male /female or male/male be ok in with electric yellows Labidochromis caeruleus. I know that it is mixing new world with malawis but does it work and what combinations?

Yeah it can work I have seen it done.. But I would go for singles unless you have a huge tank and evern then it would have to be 4-5ft min as acara's and firemouth's get big, they may get too agro and big for the keyhole though..

I don't understand why people want to mix them all lol IMO you can get a much better display by sticking to africans or to americans :)

You can do peacocks and yellows in that tank.. Maybe some zebra's but they tend to get big and agro and can take over.

The reason I usually recommend demasoni is because they look cool especially in larger numgers) stay small and are more likely to work long term in smaller tanks, other combo's may work but sometimes only while the fish are young or only if you get a mellow male. If you have a heap of tanks then you can afford to try weird and wonderful combinations because you have the ability to remove fish as they get beaten up..

You can do peacocks and yellows in that tank.. Maybe some zebra's but they tend to get big and agro and can take over.

The reason I usually recommend demasoni is because they look cool especially in larger numgers) stay small and are more likely to work long term in smaller tanks, other combo's may work but sometimes only while the fish are young or only if you get a mellow male. If you have a heap of tanks then you can afford to try weird and wonderful combinations because you have the ability to remove fish as they get beaten up..

True ! always a better option to have at least one other tank! :roll:

Most cichlids are combatable. That is the problem with them. (Just trying to do IRA out of a job)

Haha I didn't even notice that!!

180L doesn't help that much when talking about cichlids, footprint is far more important than over-all volume.

lol I only just picked up on that.. I must have done the whole reading the first and last letter thing and making the word work..

Anyway your tank is a relatively good size you could try some zebra's and other peacocks in there but noone can really be too sure how it will work out when they get bigger and potentially agro, how much scope do you have to rehome/setup a new tank?

I am just in the process of reducing the tanks I have because of the problems keeping them warm over winter and just that a few larger are easier than several small for me! So I dont want to get lots of fish and grow them up...I had to do that with the kribs and now have three breeding pairs with a handful of young in each tank that have survived. Still trying to pass them on....

Thanks all for the advice and help...I brought home a wonderful Sunshine peacock (not sure of the latin name yet...will need to post a pic i think) and a jacobfreybergi (still small) and a small red zebra female. They are pretty special fish.