Coloured Female Guppies......

Spink

Can anyone tell me how normal/rare it is to have a female guppy with full body colour? So much so that it looks like a male? :-?

I have 2 which I thought were black males I had bred, but it seems they are both female - black from the tail right up to just before the head!

They're very pretty, just not what I thought they were!!!! Might be more beneficial to me than the male I wanted though....

I thought the bigger difference was body and tail size/shape when comparing male and female guppies.

My males and females are almost the same coloured, just different shapes, and of course the male has a huge tail.

Maybe I'm a bit dumb/blonde/naive! :oops:

Most of the females I have seen have had the dull grey/brown body colour with the occasional splash of colour through the tail, like yellow or pink. The only reason I even noticed was because someone reminded me of the gonopodium and when I was checking my mollies, I decided to check the guppies too, and found I had girls!

I guess they're around but you just don't see them in pet shops so much. Maybe I'll be a little more pervy when it comes to picking out my fish from now on!!! :wink:

If you have a female which is coloured like a male then it is quite unusual and most probably very sort after. If it truly looks like a male then I suggest you breed as many females as possible because IMO they will be very lucrative.

If you have a female which is coloured like a male then it is quite unusual and most probably very sort after. If it truly looks like a male then I suggest you breed as many females as possible because IMO they will be very lucrative.

My thoughts exactly - most females are so very plain and with such little colour.

Hey guys - funny you say that, I was just about getting ready to give up breeding my guppies altogether! :P

I'm in it more for the fun than for the money, but it might be nice to see if I can breed from her and have success with more beautiful offspring. It would mean I would probably have to get another tank... :roll: ...but that's never a problem for me! Maybe I'll look in to having a custom built breeding tank made up so I can do it with minimal fuss for the fish.

Thanks for the advice guys! I might just give it another shot!!! :hail:

Black is a colour that shows in females. If you want to breed red tuxedos you breed your best male to the blackest female that has no black in the tail. If you want all blacks you breed to the female with the most black in the tail. Nothing magic about that fish. In fact I have some and I could be persuaded to sell the females to you for only $100 each if you are looking towards early retirement. Unfortunately the Auckland Harbour bridge has gone to the same outfit that got the power lines in Windytown or you could have that as well.