OOPS! Used too much plant food...

Jake

What happens to your fish (if anything) if you OD on aquarium plant food? :oops: We accidentally put way too much in, so frantically changed about 100L of the water (480L tank) - but - did we need to panic?

Would our fish have suffered if we'd left it and just done the usual water change in a couple of days? Just for future reference....

We have Discus, Black ghost knife fish, pleco's, neons

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated :D

SWEEET!! Thanks so much for that! Breathing normally now :):wink:

We're gonna have plenty more questions however.....

Tank has only been going for about 3months now.

LOVE HAVING FISH!!!! lol

Thanks again

Depends on the plant food. You can overdose on Flourish Excel but if the fish start rising and gasping, you change some water to lower the concentration. I would assume it's the same with almost all pour-in plant food.

So you did right, like VisionMassif said. :bounce:

It's Api (Aquariuam Pharmaceuticals) Pro-Series 'Leaf Zone' - if that means anything....?

Thank YOU 2 for replying! :D

We changed the water - and no gaspers as yet....we'd be able to tell straight away ay? Or should we watch it for the next couple of days?

:o We got told by a pet shop in Lower Hutt to double dose with flourish excel to get rid of the black hairy tufts of algae that started on the plants and is now on the wood....

We have flying fox's to assist with that algae issue as well...and are actually on the hunt for a Rusty Pleco as have been advised that they love that stuff (any1 know of any of these Pleco's available?) :D

So.... we should NOT be double dosing Flourish Excel to get rid of algae cos it may harm discus - is that correct?

Any other cool Pleco's that can nail it?

8)

I've got discus and serious algae (the black beard stuff), have been advised to go 1 1/2 doses each time and see if that helps or even try double.

Told to watch the discus, if they start coming up for air its too much for them and do a quick water change. Mine are fine at 1 1/2 x the dose but unfortunately so is my algae.

Whats another name for the rusty plec.