SWFO???

David R

All this procrastination in setting up my 150x70x60 tank is getting dangerous, I was at HFF the other day and while standing at the counter I started watching the koran angelfish and niger trigger. I've always liked the idea of doing a salt water fish only tank with some big fish, but never really seriously considered it as we can't get lionfish or morays here.

So, if I was to go down that route, what would I need and what could I keep?!

Tank is 630L, and has a large sump with over two boxes of bioballs about half above water and half submerged. Haven't bought pumps yet, but was going to aim for at least 6x turn over, probably closer to 8-10x per hour.

I've kept fresh water fish for around 10 years and would consider myself fairly experienced, except in salt water. What I'd like to know is;

What other equipment I'd need; skimmer, lighting, rock etc.

Natural sea water or atrificial (or does it even matter with no invertebrates)?

Stocking? Suggested species, I've got no idea of whats available here and how they get along together, and are there some invertebrates I could keep? I like the colourful shrimps and bristlestars, but not sure if they would live with larger fish.

This is all still just an idea, and I'm still not sure if I'd be able to part with some of my large fw fish. Any help/encouragement is appreciated!! :)

You should get a decent skimmer even for a fish only tank, it is your main means to keep the tank clean. Lighting is not critical for a FO, whatever you like the look of.

Either natural or artificial seawater, whatever suits.

Stocking, too big a subject for one post, but most fish can live with shrimps etc without problems but there are just a few fish you should avoid with invertebrates. Good plan would be to sort out a wish list of fish you like, then research each one to ensure it is compatable with invertebrates, plus the other fish you want. You may have to weed out a few species.

Sounds like you may be in a position to set up without too much expenses other than the skimmer. However you will find down the line that you want to get a few corals, then you have to upgrade lights etc.... and the expenses will go on.

Oh also, for rock, you need coral rock for a marine tank.

Stocking, too big a subject for one post, but most fish can live with shrimps etc without problems but there are just a few fish you should avoid with invertebrates. Good plan would be to sort out a wish list of fish you like, then research each one to ensure it is compatable with invertebrates, plus the other fish you want. You may have to weed out a few species.

I've read a few books, but not really sure what is available here. Do large angelfish and triggers get along, with more than one of their kind? IE could I keep a koran and an emperor angel in the same tank? Or two different triggers?

I'd also like a tang of some sorts, and maybe a polkadot grouper.

Guest Anonymous

Hawkfish, Triggers and Puffers will munch through any ornamental shrimps you get. The Hawkfish are usually size dependent so if you get shrimp big enough you should be fine.

I have actually seen a Trigger stalk a cleaner shrimp, amazing to watch but the Shrimp (who was already dead) would have stood no chance at all. Same deal watching a Puffer with them. Expensive fish food.

Oh.... One other site that may be of interest is this one, it is the list of what fish are legal to have in NZ.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files/biosec/policy-laws/intl/sps/transparency/notifications/nzl364-ft.pdf

Hope this helps

Thanks Gibbo, I've never actually looked thru the SW part of that list. However, if its anything like the FW list there will be many fish that are on the list that are still never available here.

More questions, what kind of skimmer would you recommend for this set up? This is something I know nothing about [yet], other than bigger is better.