ORANGE ZEBRA'S - FINALLY setup with fish!

StarFish

We FINALLY :D got some fish for our new tank after having it set up for a couple of weeks, so I havent even posted for a while wanted to wait until it was all ready.

We finally made our minds up and due to lack of much choice, on Orange Zebra Cichlids, today we added some black planting pots and loads of stones, already (its been less than an hour) they are establishing their territorys, and possibly showing interest in breeding, I am 99% sure we have one male and 2 females (male is lighter than the females) and he has been shaking his stuff at them. Although they are still quite young so perhaps are'nt quite old enough yet im not sure.

Id appreciate any info and experience people have with these cichlids, so far they are awesome! :bounce:

Heres the pics!!!!

2444768556_2132da97d3_o.jpg

2443942149_5c21ec2554_o.jpg dont mind the bathroom in the background :lol:

2444768910_1b2e9e324e_o.jpg

:lol: I chose that pic cos it was the best but I knew the bathroom would get a few giggles :P:P

We bought the tank off trademe a couple of weeks ago and we had it filled for a while but could only get some fish for it last week :D

Hoping that the tiger lotus will grow back a bit better soon, but the lilaeopsis is doing really well :D

hmmmm zebras and plants,interesting

zebras being mbuna and going by my experience they could become between feed snacks.that is not to say it won't work don't be too disapointed if it dosn't.i have found that the best plants to use are vallisinaria,crypts and anubias they are more hardy and can take the knocks better,java fern is also another favorite be.nice look be awesome if it does well thou

lol I never thought I would see that tank again! I owned it when we were in Auckland and had it setup as a amazon planted tank in my lounge.. Sold it off because it held alot of water but didn't have much footprint so wasn't good for when I moved into cichlids :) I'm glad to see its still around it was cool.. Does it still have a ton of lights in the hood?

We bought this tank off someone in Taranaki(stratford), she bought it off an older couple also in taranaki who had some standard tropicals in there for a while, it only has the one light..

I know its not HUGE for cichlids but we arent planning to overstock, will just keep some and see how it goes, this is tank number 2 so we can always move things around as the other tank we have is much larger.

I havent noticed them caring about the plants as of yet but will keep an eye on them, generally in the past we have only had anubias and java fern in our cichlid tanks too , so will see how the lotus and lilaeopsis survive. :-)

Caryl wrote:

Wow, a tank with its own bathroom - fancy

Well, now come on if they are flushing the toilet, as Karlos suggested they might...does that not mean if they went to "potty" they have to wash their hands, ah fins :o:wink: :lol:

Very nice pics StarFish :bow::bow: What are the 2 items that look white??

Caper

lol that is a dead ringer for the tank I used to own even down to the water mark on the front where it got wet.. lol I guess more than one tank the same can be made :)

And you are best to overstock an african tank for aggression reasons that tank looks big but because its all height its not ideal, if you rocked up the whole back so the fish had somewhere to hide it would be ok.