The Napier Aquarium

David R

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not then sorry, I'm sure one of the Mods will move it ;)

I was just watching some fishing programme on TV and they went on a tour of the Napier Aquarium. As well as having a huge Kelly Tarltons style aquarium, there was a large display of african cichlids, and an asian display with heaps of tinfoil barbs, a gian gourami and I saw one pretty big looking clown loach swim past in the background.

Who's been there?? Is it worth a look, I'm now thinking of making the trip [from hamilton] one weekend. What else do they have there???

As far as FW fish in the same tank with the tinfoil barbs there's some big silver sharks, if I remember right, a huge pictus? and a handful of other big fish. They also have a heap of redspot and common plecos along with rainbows in with an alligator.

Just looking through the "link list" and guess what I came across...thats right a link to the very place you are talking about.....take a look it might help you out with your decision on going.....

http://www.nationalaquarium.co.nz

the Tv show was Gone Fishing, and I just caught the 'tail' :lol: end of it from about the African Cichlids on......I thought that the Cichlid tank looked very crammed for the number of fish in the tank......

ChrisMack

The last time I went was at Christmas last year and the main tank to me seemed a little bare. they really need more fish. there seems to be less fish now than before it was renovated a couple years ago.

I would wait till maybe christmas or even september for the auction.

We have been there twice now and loved it. Lots to see, well laid out, you can spend all day in there and not get bored! :lol:

Hopefully we will be able to visit again when we go to the National Fish Show (and auction and display etc) in Napier in September.