Coldwater catfish???

Melanotaenia

I was looking at the goldfish tank tonight and decided that what they really needed was some catfish in there too...or something that browses the bottom scavenging.... any ideas anybody?? What's the coldest catfish?? Maybe I could heat the tank to 16 deg approx which is suitable for a 'coldwater' variety???

All wacky ideas gratefully received... :lol:

Richard

Goldfish do a pretty good job of 'roiling' by themselves ! They are always grubbing around the bottom looking for any missed food items. There wouldn't be a lot left over for catfish to feed on.

As for algae eaters, I have had bristle nose go as low as 11*C and survive during the infamous power strikes here, but they were not real happy about it.

I have just had a massive outbreak of bristle nose spawns at 20*C these last few weeks, and I have even had them spawn at 18*C. I don't know that I would like to take them much lower though.

Pepper cats ( Corydoras paliatus) will winter quite well outdoors here, and some colour forms of C aeneus are cold water fish (by our standards) tho the ponds rarely get below 10*C

Alan

you can put catfish in your tanks but wait until summer! its just to much of a shock on them if you do it now .

i have bristle nose breeding in my goldfish tanks at work so they are a good one to get but wait until its warmer or they could/would die.

corys do well in coldwater as well oh and borneo suckers.

I was going to suggest Corydas bartatus. Then did a double take ! :-? In a goldfish tank ???? They are definately cold water cories, so much so that I have never been able to keep them through a Qld Summer. But they sell for around AU$50 ea..

Not the sort of fish you would put in a gold fish bowl.... :roll:

Alan