Ornate Bichir - help?

BigBossPants

Hi guys,

I just bought a 6" Ornate Bichir ($65 - Woo Hoo!) yesterday and I'm a little concerned about him.

He's very pale, not at all like the ones we get at work (pet store). His fins are normal but his body is pasty looking, he doesn't have the defined markings I expected. The guy at the shop said he was just eating flakes (shock, horror!). The tank he was in looked a little suspect too, low water quality maybe?

My tank is 240L (4 foot), has a sand bottom and some live plants. I gave him some half-bowls to hide in but he seems to prefer to sit in the plants and under the filter. The lighting is a regular fluro bulb, about 90cm long so tank is darker in the corners.

So far he has eaten an earthworm and 3 small neon tetras (he shares his tank with about 9 assorted tetras, they were all meant to be feeders but have evaded him so far).

I offered him some mussel today and he snapped at it but spat it out and didn't go back to it. The little fish liked it though haha.

He gets 'Tetra' tropical flakes left over from the little fish too, but I know this isn't suitable.

He seems to be eating the sand, or putting it in his mouth and spitting it out through his gills, WHY?!

Is it likely that he'll become darker with a good, varied diet and better water?

How much/often should he be fed? I'm going to invest in some assorted frozen food in the next couple of days...

Also, what kind of lighting can I use so I can watch him at night? I was thinking of red or blue LED's so I can light the tank but he'll still think it's night... Any suggestions?

Reading your above post id say your just nervous about your new fish and over reacting.

Fish of the same species can have different colorations, bichirs in my tank are.

Blue led's at night should be fine

My female bichir eats sand.....just like your one. Dont know why lol

Try beef heart and shrimp. Cut the white fat(?) off the beef heart and freeze it.

I a 30cm cube cut into bits to my 2 large bichirs every day or a few medium shrimp cut up.

It may take a bit of time to change foods

Just keep a eye on it and it should be fine

Thanks for that HaNs, yeah I am a bit paranoid about him lol he's my baby.

Did you mean 30mm (3cm)?

What sort of flow rate do you use for yours? I have a 500L/H internal filter at the moment, I think it's a bit much, tetras don't like it lol

30mm lol. So tired!

800lph filter and a small pump thats doing 600lph ish at the top of the tank to get water movement. Tanks 220L

Bichirs do sometimes eat substrate, which is why its not recommended to keep them on gravel. Ornates can vary in colour, and substrate can also have an effect on colour, try a dark red, dark grey or black substrate for bolder colour.

My two smaller ones varied quite a bit, especially when kept in a bare bottom tank, they're a bit more even now they're on dark substrate again.

17-9-072.jpg

Try feeding it Hikari sinking carnivore pellets, and shrimp. I've gone off beef heart as it is apparently hard for fish to digest, and I found my ornate was getting fussy and wouldn't eat anything else. He's back on shrimp now.

While we're on the subject of ornates, here's a pic I snapped last night, he didn't really feel like posing...

2-3.jpg

Wow your ornates are gorgeous, how big is that larger one? Mine is very similar to the lighter one in your pic, I'll try the darker substrate thanks :)

He didn't want to eat last night either, I had given him mussel again. Going to the shop to get some shrimp and stuff today so hopefully I can entice him :D Will post a pic of him shortly!

I was getting worried about mine not eating...not losing weight but got concerned, so I moved him to a 3' tank on his own. from the amount of poo in there I neednt have worried.

Im going to teach him to hand feed before I put him back in with my cichlids, that way I can be sure he's getting some good food not just left overs.

Mine is a little paler in the middle of his body too, but he/shes still purty, and substrate colour makes him change a little I've noticed too.

Good luck with Belial :bounce:

Good to know people have had similar issues, I thought about training him to hand feed too but the idea of being bitten once he's big puts me off a bit :S

He now shares his tank with a big Jack Dempsey. Went back to the fish shop and he was there in a dark tank (where he had been for 2 weeks apparently), so I took him home. He's harassing the feeders and eating the sand, but so far has left Belial alone. Made a neat rock cave for him to hide in so he should be ok :)

Also got beef heart, trevalli fillet and cichlid pellets for them today, will see how he likes them :D:D:D

''I thought about training him to hand feed too but the idea of being bitten once he's big puts me off a bit :S ''

its more of a suprise, bichirs actually have a very weak bite force think of it being a good pinch.

Your local market can be a great source of foods check the seafood section of the freezer

You can use just about any foods you find there including

mussels

shrimp

most fish filets (avoid salmon i think its to oily)

Available at the butcher counter or they should be able to order it for you

beefheart

and yes chicken gizzards

to prepare the above cut it into strips and remove any fat you can find

fish do not digest mammialian fat well-Anne