Help please, new fish tried to eat old fish

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi

I have just introduced two killifish or yellow panchax they were called in the shop to my established tank. One of them tried to eat one of my neon tetras. It got halfway down his throat!! I managed to fish out the killifish and he spat out the tetra so I put them back in the tank and he tried again, I have now isolated both of the killifish in a breeding tank inside my main tank.

Is this normal for these fish? I asked at the petshop if they were community fish and they said they thought so which is why I bought them. Do they normally eat fish smaller than themselves? If so I will have to take them back I guess.

Does anyone know, I read a bit about them on the internet and it said they normally ate insects, but it didn't say anything about them eating other fish.

Cheers

Rachel

:oops:

Rachel, the "Golden Rule" about fish compatibility,

is that if a fish can fit into anothers mouth, then it is in dire straits.

I can't think of any fish, that given the opportunity,

they will eat a smaller tank-mate.

God luck with your killies, be aware that they can jump, and go thru small gape.

They will get close to 100mm given good food and care.

Alan

Guest Anonymous

Okay then back to the fish shop they go, otherwise all my little fishies will be toast!!

It does annoy me a little though because I bought a couple of neon tetras at the same time and the sales person never said that the killifish would eat them, given half a chance. So hopefully they will take them back and I can swap them for something else.

Cheers

Guest Anonymous

I ended up taking the two killifish back. I think it was just one of them that was very aggressive, because he started picking on the other killifish too.

Never mind I am playing it safe now, have replaced them with two guppies and a swordtail, I have had these fish before and haven't had any problems with them.

Its just a shame really because the killifish had a beautiful metallic lemon shimmer to them, they were very pretty fish.

Oh well better luck next time I try new fish. I might stick to fish with smaller mouths that way they can't eat fish they can only nip them at worst.

Tank going okay now, see how it pans out.

Cheers and thanks for the replies.

Rachel

:)