Cooling

Aquarium Dude

I have 4 5ft tubes in my aquarium hood. The problem is that the inside of the hood gets way to hot, in fact it is so hot it easily raises the temperature in the tank to a point where I have to turn the lights off.

I was thinking about putting some computer fans in the top to blow cold air into the hood. This mabey would work but I wondered what other people had done and what they recommend.

the problem with computer fans is that they run off 12vdc , go to dick smith they or jaycar u can get fans of a similar size with run off mains power and can be wired into the lites saving the need for another powercord(a 12v transformer plug will also be large and possibly stop u from using all the sockets on a multi board) also it will need to have its own switch and need to be turned on and off when the lites are on (hardwiring a mains powered fan to the lighting circuit will solve this

The mains fans also seem to cost more. If you get an old PC power supply off trademe or somewhere you should have enough 12v power there to run a few hundred fans.:)

u would want an old 1 unless u can figure out how to turn it on without using a motherboard

u would want an old 1 unless u can figure out how to turn it on without using a motherboard

Small section of wire, jam it into the appropriate 2 points in the motherboard plug. If you google it you shouldn't have a hard time finding a diagram telling which two or I could check the one I have at home.

Actually, mine at home I've got a 1" piece of solder stuck into them, it's not really critical, it doesn't carry any current it's just a switch to tell the PSU to wake up.

Small section of wire, jam it into the appropriate 2 points in the motherboard plug. If you google it you shouldn't have a hard time finding a diagram telling which two or I could check the one I have at home.

Actually, mine at home I've got a 1" piece of solder stuck into them, it's not really critical, it doesn't carry any current it's just a switch to tell the PSU to wake up.

awesome id like to know what colours the wires are i have a raidmax i want to use

I had 2 fans in the hood on my old 5 and a bit foot tank - worked sweet as. 12v computer fans swiped from dead power supplies many years back. Used a powerpack from an old cordlessphone that we were chucking out - only 9v but still loads of air moved and much quieter then on 12v