funni clowns??

Skittles

Heya guys im just wondering is it normal for clowns not to go in the anemone? because ours dont seem to like them they seem to hide in the corner is there a special way to make them go into them. we only bought the anemone for them really and they hate the things now what? :evil:

They do, but they wont just host because you want them to host. No amount of willing, or swearing will get your clowns to host. I've heard of people waiting years for their clowns to host in an anemone, some will never host at all.

How big is your tank? To me, if your clowns are hiding, suggests they aren't happy :(

no experience but if there is a problem people usually check there is enough

1: space

2: compatable tank mates

3: water parameters

4: any health issues

5: its an individual thing each to there own

6: enough hiding places

7: appropriate setup for the species kept

just my opinion not to offend any one

Its a common occurance for them to not host in anenomes, sometimes they host in or around other things like FMXMatts ones in their hammer corals, sometimes around sump returns like mine do.

As long as they are eating food and look like they are fairly happy, don't worry.

There is a view that tank bred clowns since they have been raised in a barren tank, have no idea what predators are so quite happily swim around in the open - kind of makes sense to me.

Another view out there is that clowns will only host the type of anenome that their parents hosted - this makes no sense to me as clowns (especially "nemos") host a wide variety of things.

Some people have tried a number of things to encourage their clowns to host things:

1. Showing them a picture of other clowns hosting an anenome

2. Netting them and shoving them into the anenome

3. Removing the clowns and the anenome and putting in a small quarantine tank

Other people have had their clowns host straight away no problems - me I'm still waiting after 5 months, but each to their own.

Guest Anonymous

You can show them a photo of clowns in an anemone and put this on the side of the tank. This has been known to work quite well.

I wouldn't recommend chasing them into the anemone. As this will put stress on your fish. Nothing something you want to do.

We have a pair of Occ Clowns who host in the Anems we provided for them. However my pair of B&W Occ Clowns have no interest in hosting the anemone in their tank. All are happy though.

Mine now hosts a H malu, but for a while it was tossing up between a xenia and a trachyphilia - the anemone was always there it just took a while to decide to host it..... As I understand it it's not a species typically used but was purchased before I decided to get the clown.

as some of us have found, clowns aren't normally picky about what the host, but once they decide to host it, they aren't keen on giving it up.

I get bitten by mine if I go near my torch coral. Any new fish that go near it soon get told that they aren't allowed to go near it again haha

Guest Anonymous
as some of us have found, clowns aren't normally picky about what the host, but once they decide to host it, they aren't keen on giving it up.

I get bitten by mine if I go near my torch coral. Any new fish that go near it soon get told that they aren't allowed to go near it again haha

Be careful. Our Occ clowns killed a large torch when they started to host in it. It was ok for the first 4-6 weeks, but then it just started to get damaged from all the constant rubbing. Eventually half of the heads died and I had to remove it (much to the clownfishes disgust!). But they have 2 BTAs now which they are in love with.

They've been hosting in it for 6 months without any issues. The torch seems to be thriving. It would be nice to see them in a real anemone though, then when they go and find food for their host, they'll actually be doing some good.

yeh well we have tried to put piks of other fish up and it didnt wrk.

and yeh they are eating normally.

we hav 1 tang

1 blue damzle

1angle

1 sailfin

1 sand sifter

1 clam

and then theres the 2 clowns.

they seem to host the cornre of the tank.

its a real shame and i do hope tht they end up hosting an anemone. :( :-? :D

Yes - Mine goes straight for my ring every time I put my hand in the tank....

Wow what a lovely video Sapphire!

Didn't know your tank looked so good! Is that anemone a H. Malu? If so great choice, my favourite anemone.

Yes DantezGirl there are long and shorter tentacle anemones, some of them the clowns can disappear from view completely.

Thanks Wasp! Still a long way to go with the tank but slowly does it - there've been a few more additions since that video too!

Yes it is a H Malu - I really like it. It seems happy enough.... the first night we had it it climbed off the rock it was on and placed itself where it is now - hasn't moved since! Wasn't quite where I wanted it but at least it isn't wandering around causing trouble. I was a bit concerned when the clown found it as it's only small at the moment but it seems ok.

Guest Anonymous
cool can you get the really long anemone? so they can hide in properly like fully immerse them selfs in it just curious

Yep. This is a photo of one of our clowns in their larger anemone. Both clowns can hide completely from view in it without a problem.

April02.jpg