So why fish??

I got fed up of watering house plants about 3 years ago, so a tank was ideal, especially since I had one sitting around from when I had a frog. I only added fish so I didn't have to fertilise them. I now have a case of MMTS

But I used to have a pond in my teens when the supermarket had a 95cent goldfish coupon on the till receipts for the LFS. I've just got the pond back off my parents this year and it now has Inanga and Bullies in it.

My boyfriend started encouraging me to 'get out of my comfort zone' and do something.... and I blame Trade Me for this (I can't think how else it happened as I used to hate fish!)... I decided to blow my savings on getting a tropical fish tank!

Ended up buying a $280 planted tank where half the plants were either dead or dieing, the top was cracked, the lid didn't cover it completely and the 'free' filter that came with it didn't work and made a LOT of noise. A complete rip-off and I didn't know any better. PLUS I ended up smashing it to pieces the other day when I upgraded to a 215L tank! (Custom-built this time and in perfect-working order) Hindsight is horrible. :(

And barely two-minutes ago while I was browsing Trade Me again, looking at nice little (38L+) tanks to buy, said boyfriend decided that one tank was enough!

:lol:

My mum had goldfish when I was a kid, and when she got ill, I was given the task of looking after the little blighters. Once she finally passed on to a better place, I looked after the fish for a couple of years till they all had moved on to that same better place.

Wasn't really too interested in keeping it going, until some one introduced me to tropicals, and I have never really looked back since.

I also enjoy the fact that I can just keep the fish, and just enjoy the solitude, I have other sports/hobbies, where there is never-ending meetings/training nites etc, these can be hard with the time constraints of work, family etc . The best part of that is most fish-keepers that I have met up with understand that, and there is no pressure you just get to enjoy the hobby (with exception fo those required water changes)..