Waikato Club Meeting

dave

Next meeting of the Waikato Aquarium Soc is 13/06/04 at link house , Te Aroha st , Hamilton.

Starts at 7pm doors open 6:30pm.

We have Peter Mccleod as our guest speaker talking on line breeding guppies . This will be interesting as i am sure that some of the methods will apply to other fish aswell.

Tableshow is livebearers so bring your guppies , swordtails , platys or mollies along . There are tanks provided for this .

We also have a libary avaible for members to take books to read monthly.

Most importanly this is where a group of waikato fishkeepers get together a share our ideas , experinces and genrally catch up.

Everyone is welcome so hope to see you there.

Feel free to PM myself ,Polgara or Rob with any questions

• 1 month later...

Duncan, it's always the first Sunday of the month.

Time and place ditto the above post.

Just change the date.

hey, I here they are crossing over the range to the Bay to check out OUR lfs's and visit friends.

From memory I think it's the 17th July

BUT CHECK, I suffer from "Ol'timers Disease"

Rob, Pol or Dave will put you right

Sometimes they use a mini-van, and that can be fun too.

Alan

Well Alan hasn't got too bad a case of ol'timers disease today. Meeting time and place as already mentioned. The speaker for the August meeting will be John Clayton from NIWA - he's part of the Aquatic pest plants section. Things that he's likely to cover are Aquatic pest plants and their control, NZ native plants suitable for aquaria (though it's mainly unheated aquaria) and (hopefully) what's the story with vallisneria in the Waikato.

Yes the club is triping over to Tauranga to visit shops and others on Saturday 17th July. Contact Dave for more details.

August meeting will be John Clayton from NIWA(Aquatic pest plants section) -sounds like a great meeting, i would love to hear what he says about the vallisneria in the Waikato , i cant make it down but would like feed back please :D

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Brian - the Sunday night meeting looks like it will be with us for a while.

John Clayton's talk ranged over a number of things he deals with as part of his work at NIWA - Aquatic Plant Control team.

For example:

1) Sediments from beneath weed beds (eg Hornwort) often don't support plant growth once the hornwort is removed. This is because of a high ammonia content and also various sulphur compounds - inital studies were done just using the sediment to try and grow radishes on (to get an idea of how well it will support growth), studies continue using actual aquatic plants. Hornwort is particularly nasty as it can form dense beds and also is able to grow at greater depths than the assorted 'oxygen weeds'. Like the oxygen weeds can can grow from very small fragments.

2) From a recent survey of aquatic plant growers it was discovered that 27% of the aquatic plant species found weren't actually listed as being present in NZ (please note the John and his team were working on a confidential basis - they just wanted to find out what plants were around - they aren't the plant police)

3) The other types of vallisneria (ie other than gigantea which as be banned for a number of years now) were only focused on because of people intentionally establishing it in locations it hadn't been found in before and people harvesting it from Hornwort infested lakes and shipping it to the South Island - they definitely don't want hornwort estabilished in the South Island lakes and it's damn near impossible to make sure you've removed every bit of it from the vallisneria. At the moment I know that vallisneria is banned in the Waikato region (under an Environment Waikato directive) and there is a question mark of a nationwide ban. Another complicating factor is the difficulty in identifying the different species of vallisneria.

4) NIWA, in conjunction with some aquatic plant growers is developing a list of preferred aquatic plants for the general public - this is a slow process though.

• 2 weeks later...

It is good to be challenged Krib.

Means that you are learning something.

Make sure to ask questions when you have a guest speaker, and are invited to.

The only DUMB question is the unasked one.

Did you know others in the room are thinking the same as you?

but are on the DUM list.

Don't you be there too.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder that the next club meeting is on 5/9/04 . Details of venue and start times are on the fist posting on this tread .

This month we have hiretwo videos from the FNZAS libary One is the National fishshow 1990 held i think in Auckland . The second is a interclub trip from Northshore to Waikato which hassome footage of the Ruakura pest plant centre and a waikato tank crawl . Both videos will be great viewing and i sure will encourge particapation in the fishshow next month .

Can't rember what the tableshow is this month .

Any quires contact Rob , Polgara or myself .

Hope to see you there

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm a bit late putting up the message - but the Waikato Aquarium Soc meeting is tonight (Sunday 3 Oct). We have Gavin Reynolds from DOC as a guest speaker talking about pest fish in NZ.

Also there is the tank crawl on Saturday 16th October.